SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Help Me Decide the Best Place to Over -Winter my Container Roses

TNY78
12 years ago

This is the first year that I've ventured into the world of growing roses in containers. I have about ten 18inch pots that have roses in them that are zone 7b (I'm in 6b) that I need to over-winter someplace. I know Seil had suggessted to water monthly and bury them in leaves in their pots (thanks!)...

My options are under my back deck, on my front porch (which is the brick side of the house), or in my garage (however my riding mower is in there and I'm slightly worried about the gas fumes killing the roses).

Here are my other questions:

~Do I need to raise them off the ground a bit on wood boards, or can they sit right on the cement/pavers?

~If they are kept on the front porch or under the deck, do I need to protect the entire area with plastic or canvas to block the wind?

~Will my container roses that are not out of zone be ok on the back deck without being moved?

And lastly (sorry...but I'm trying to do this right and lose as few as I can...hopefully) I just purchased nine 2qt potted roses from J&P because they had a great email only sale going on before I realized this may be a bad idea right before winter. Do I try to get them in the ground ASAP or do I leave them in their pots and cross my fingers that they make it?

Thanks for any help! You all are great!

Here's picks of the porch and area under the deck to help:

10x10 area under the deck:

{{gwi:330245}}

Front Porch (excuse the mess! I just had a contractor replace all the rails, and they can't be painted until the wood dries out a little)

{{gwi:330246}}

Comments (9)