SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Incredible - fish survived in my zone 3 puddle

glen3a
16 years ago

I have a pond for a few years now, zone 3, that's 5 x 7 feet and 24 inches deep. The water level itself is more like 20 inches deep. Due to the winter climate and the relatively shallow depth of the pond, I bring the fish indoors and put them in a stock tank for winter.

Yesterday I am doing some spring cleaning of the pond. Probably late for most of you but this spring has been exceptionally cool and everything is behind schedule. I noticed something moving in the water. Upon closer inspection, it's two black goldfish. The largest is about 2 inches long. Obviously last fall when I was trying to catch all the fish to bring them indoors I missed a couple of babies born last year.

I find this amazing, since this is zone 3 and I always assumed that the pond freezes into a solid ice block. Obviously not this year. Furthermore, the pond was iced over from mid November to early April and it was a colder than normal winter.

I think two factors could possibly have helped. First, the pond is right beside a deck. Maybe the couple of feet of snow that got shoveled off the deck and onto the pond over winter insulated the ice and kept it from freezing all the way down?

Second, the pond is located about 4 feet from the house foundation (dug basement). Maybe the outer wall of the foundation provides some outward heat and keeps the soil and the ice in the pond from freezing so deep? It does seem to me, in spring that when the pond thaws it sort of thaws from the bottom first.

I guess having just two fish in the pond worked to it's advantage as well, since the pond wasn't overloaded with fish and there was enough oxygen for the winter.

Anyways, I just wanted to share with people who can appreciate this. Every year there seems to be something that amazes me with the pond. From my first frog a few years ago, to the first time my goldfish had babies, there's always something neat happening.

Glen

Comments (5)