SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

where the heck am i going to put my river birch?

dkgarber
13 years ago

I love river birches. I never knew the root systems were so evil!! I picked a river birch up on clearance at Lowes for 6.00 the other day b/c i could NOT refuse.

Now, after several google searches, i am hearing that i can't grow anything w/in 40 feet (or the dripe lines worth) possibly even more of the river birch!!

I have also heard that it will buckle a driveway or foundation.

There are several used as lawn trees around here, and while I knew moisture would be a problem when siting this tree, i never took into account the roots.

I think I can find a place in the back yard, but my butterfly garden will be w/in 40ft of the tree-will no flowers grow w/in the root zone of a birch?? really???

I see pictures and real life situations of this tree growing super close to the house--which was my first place for it.

Its also possible the tree won't live to see 40 feetb/c they rarely live to maturity in landscape situations.

Is this tree really only suited to grow out on its own,and not near anythying?? How could I apreciate its beauty if it was stuck over on the edge of my property?

Comments (5)