SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midorit

can Manhattan euonymus espalier be this close to weeping river birch?

midorit
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello

I am doing some vertical gardening here in our tiny patio. I want to add a wall of evergreen behind our patio table to bring some year round green and visual interest while the rest of the garden sleeps during the winter.

This type of bush with espalier. In it's "free form" it is 5 feet wide, 6 to 8 tall.

The height is perfect. The width when it's done growing would go as close as 2 feet away from trunk of the river birch.

I don't care if that area gets dense like jungle with the river birch folding over the wall of green but my only two questions are:

1) Will the roots of the two plants be happy? From trunk of the bush to trunk of the weeping river birch it's about 4- 4 1/2 feet away. Is this enough room for them to both be happy? The weeping river birch is about a year old.

2) If the bush gets too wide, is it an easy bush to trim back? If the bush leaves/ branches connect with the river birch's branches this ok? No hard feelings?

Sorry it looks so dingy here. Had a plant on that table and it needs a washing badly. Also everything is in hibernation mode - that is why we would love some green vertical interest on this wall! I digress..

we would love having a green wall behind the patio furniture seen from our living room if possible :) For year round greenery outside.

This is how it looks in the summer: Where the pink hanging basket is, is where the bush would go.

I need to know soon as I'd like to put this in the ground asap. I'm in zone 7 DC metro area.

Thanks!

Comments (13)