SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
couchonbp

Toliet won't flush and tried EVERYTHING!

couchonbp
11 years ago

My toliet won't flush and I think I just about tried everything that I read up on this forum. The problem is that the upstairs guest room toliet won't flush but instead just fills up the bowl and swirls around a bit before going back down to its original level. All of the other toliets, sinks, tubs, etc all work just fine. Here are the things that I tried:

- replaced the fluidmaster water control assembly & flapper since my original water control assembly was leaking from the top. No more leaking but I tried flushing afterwards without success.
- initially tried plunging it but it didn't work.
- tried snaking it but didn't uncover anything.
- poured in a 5-gallon bucket of water and it flushes good on its own. I tried four more 5-gallon buckets of water to see if that would help dislodge whatever could be causing a blockage but again it won't flush afterwards when trying to do it just from the water in the tank.
- used a wire coat hanger and my wife's small make-up mirror to poke the hanger into each of the small holes inside the inner rim of the toliet but that didn't help.
- purchased two gallons of muriatic acid (31%) from Ace Hardware and poured about a half-gallon of it at a time down the overflow tube in the tank in order to break up any minerals or deposits that the coat hanger may not have gotten. After I used the full two gallons, I let it sit for a couple of hours and used a scrub brush on the areas around the inner rim just to make sure I got it through. Again, the same thing happens when I flushed aftewards.

I didn't go on my roof to check and see if the vent line was clogged since I don't feel comfortable walking on my roof being that it's a bit slanted and high up. I also didn't remove the toliet and look underneath at all. I replaced the floor in the bathroom with tile many years ago so I am comfortable with removing the toliet but I rather not if there's another suggestion for me to try first. Any ideas out there????

r/
Bryan

Comments (10)