SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billyk72

Need help with JD GT25 - Won't Start!!

billyk72
14 years ago

I have a great JD GT275 that has been bulletproof for 12 years now. Last week, I tried to start it up and no dice. I put some gas down the air intake and it started right up, for 10 seconds or so. So I figured it's probably a fuel starvation issue.

Today I drained all the gas out, replaced the gas filter, put fresh gas in, pulled the air cleaner and carb bowl and sprayed Seafoam Carb Cleaner in all the carb nooks/crannies. I let it sit a few and then I blew out as many areas as I could reach with canned/compressed air. The carb was very clean to begin with. Lastly, I pulled the fuel line leading to the carb at the fuel pump and put some Seafoam in the line and reattached to the fuel pump. I put everything back together and cranked it.

It cranks well but it didn't run. I noticed that no gas was getting up into the new gas filter! So I pulled the fuel line leading to the carb again (at the fuel pump) and cranked it a little. Gas came up in the filter and the pump spit out some gas as it should. So, it's been held back by some stoppage downstream towards the carb.

So it appears that I've narrowed it down to the intake of gas into the carb. Maybe clogged jets that did not respond to the Seafoam cleaning??

Here's the problem, I don't see the bolts that hold the carb onto the engine and I suspect that I might have to tear-down the engine cowling to get at them. Not sure if I am up for this and flying blind.

- Is anyone here familiar with this 17 HP Kawasaki engine that can let me know how to pull this carb? Or where I can find instructions on how to do it?

- Could I simply pull the pin on the carb float (with carb attached to the engine) and drop the jet(s) down from there for cleaning?

Thanks!

-bk

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions