SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

treatments for tricky windows

victoriajane
13 years ago

I am not sure how to handle the treatments for two windows in my house. The first is a set of three windows with a stained glass transom arch. Please disregard the room decor, wall color, and furnishings; the photo is very old and all has been changed:

The pinkish/purplish window and dark moldings are permanent.

I read on a blogsite that for an arched window , the rod should be horizontal, hung straight across the width of the window up at the ceiling (in effect ignoring the arch.) But this was for a massive, high ceilinged room. My ceilings are 9 feet and the room is only 14 square feet. I'm afraid that look might be too much. The windows are southwest facing, and we need something for sun protection and privacy. Do I just do something like roman shades and skip the drapes? Although I do like a curtain to soften the edges of a room, particularly one with dark, heavy woodwork. Also since this is the family room, I'd like to cozy it up.

The other window is a palladian type in our entry room. I apologize for the photo, it is the only one I had in photobucket with the window. The window in question is the one at the very back of the picture. (This picture, also very old, was taken in December and there is a rope of garland around the arched window.) This window faces northeast, and is under our front covered porch. No pressing need for sun protection or privacy here, so do we just skip a treatment altogether? The previous owners had an arched rod hung with a moorish looking, velvet striped valance, and matching valances on the side windows. I didn't care for that look, but maybe with a different style valance it would look nice. Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County