SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

What to do about window treatments in this tricky spot?

beths96
13 years ago

So my couch in my very narrow living room has to be up against the three windows that look out onto the porch/street. I have hardwood floors, so every time I sit down, the couch slides backwards slightly. I've tried those things on the bottom of the couch legs to try to stop this, but it doesn't seem to work.

So what's the problem? Well, I have four faux-silk panels behind the couch. I leave them open for the most part, and I have fringed roller shades on the windows for privacy at night. When I sit down and the couch scoots back, it traps the panels between the windows and walls and the couch, so it looks just plain silly. Even with the tiebacks I installed, this happens.

So what should I do? Right now, my curtain rod is mounted on the woodwork around the windows. Would it help if I removed it, and mounted it above the woodwork? Isn't that a trick people use sometimes to help the room look taller? I figure that if I have the rod mounted on top of and to the side of the woodwork, the curtain panels will hang to either side of the couch, so if it scoots back, the curtains won't get crushed behind it.

Sound ok? I will post pics if anyone needs to see them. I just got my new windows installed there, so I'm really focusing on making the window area pretty!

Comments (5)