SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..

ohmmm_gw
12 years ago

The answer is YES.

I did a very unscientific study of this. I had installed a typical under the kitchen sink RO filter with a storage tank.

And one day I decided to test the water on a piece of copper.

So I took a small glass jar and put RO water in it. Then I took a brand new copper tubing hold down clamp and dropped it in the water. I covered the jar with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation and then waited.

Nothing much happened the first week or so. I changed out the water with fresh RO now and then. And after a month I began to notice the water had an orange tint to it. Hmmmm.

So I continued to change the water out once a week or so.

After about 3 months of sitting in RO water, the photo results are posted below.

Now, I realize, I did not use an actual piece of copper pipe. But I can make a pretty good guess, that if I did, the results would be similar.

You can see the particulate matter in the water. And you will also see that on the paper towel that I poured the water through. The corrosive effect was enough to reveal the base metal used on the copper clamp.

So anyone thinking about doing a whole house RO unit, better think twice if you have copper plumbing. Even if you have pex tubing or similar, the plumbing fixtures themselves usually have copper tubes on them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (29)