SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Broken Saddle Valve and Corroded Water Pipe

SparklingWater
11 years ago

Hello, I am seeking advice on two common plumbing issues. My house is a 1940's colonial with basement utility room then crawl space leading off.

1.Broken Saddle Valve: HVAC came for winter check up, installed Aprilaire humidifier pad and separate tube assembly. When running the furnace for check with humidifier on, water was actively leaking out of what i am told is an "industrial saddle valve" which controls water to humidifier. I understand saddle valves are not great (pin hole control which often doesn't work when needed Brickyee said in another post). Luckily, this one closed off.

What do you recommend instead, a ball valve lever system? I've had 5 change outs since May of gate valves (including main house intake water valve) which did not turn or were behind a W/D and not trusted. I have another one in a bathroom which won't turn. Any advise on how to lubricate it and then try gently to turn right (tight).

{{gwi:2037354}}

2. Corroded water pipe beneath corroded shower drain pipe due to liner failure. This is ugly but both are not currently leaking. I had 25' of basement water pipe replaced in May but this pipe was not noticed. I now am wondering, given all the pipes and their age, should I switch to an alternative like CPVC or is it PEX from here out? A different plumber did use PVC for a sink/DW drain replacement two years ago and it seems to be working find but it was 4" diameter not small 3/4" or 1/2" diameter water pipe. Is (C)PVC made in small diameter? Non PVC water pipe is expensive but has it's benefits. We have water pipes going every where in this basement. I'd like to be consistent in replacement. Are more homeowners turning to CPVC or PVC now?

Lastly, if you care to share a not too large and very reputable plumbing company for Northern Virginia I would be very obliged. Thank you very much for your help and comments. They are very much appreciated.

{{gwi:2037355}}

Comments (10)