SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomadic_decorator

Sulphur Smell, Corroded Copper Replaced, Sulphur Smell Again

debtro
16 years ago

First time posting in this Forum. Periodically (maybe every 6 months or so) we get sulphur smell in the master bathroom. Not just when the water is running -- it seems to fill the air during the day or night and we've never pinned down where exactly it's coming from. The sulphur smell is only in the master bathroom area and more faint in the guest bath which has a shared wall with the master bath. We are on well water with an Angel water conditioning system. House was built in '69 with copper pipes.

We recently demo'd the master bath for a re-do and the sulphur smell was there as soon as the shower walls were knocked down. The copper pipes behind the shower were corroded -- there was build-up of white & lime green powder and under the powder there were holes in the pipes. The crew replaced all the copper pipes in this area with PVC. Sulpher smell went away for a few weeks.

Today it is back! The remodeling is not done yet but the walls have been put back up and the sulpher smell is strong in there today. Other than testing the lines, no water has been run in that bathroom for 4 weeks because it's been gutted.

What do you suggest we look at to pin down the cause, the source??

When the master bath pipes were replaced, I know the guys said one pipe we were looking at that was corroded was an "air pipe." I honestly did not pay attention to which ones were cold and hot water pipes but there was corrosion on most of the pipes. The other thing I can think of now is, the master bath is on the second floor so should we look at these same pipes where they run below that bath, behind the living room wall?

Comments (8)