SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Design Ideas for Long, Narrow Room

funkyart
16 years ago

I wasn't going to post this because i don't have a good picture of the room-- but i am really going in circles here so i thought I'd throw out this out for any thoughts.

I have a long narrow LR (12 x 26). It's painted in bM tavern taupe. One short end is a staircase, the other is a brick wall painted cream with a cream fireplace and a plate mirror over the mantle. There is an archway door on the far end of one long wall and an entrance door on the other.

I THINK I am going to buy a smaller size sectional to sit in the middle of the long wall with archway. The left facing short side of the sectional will face the fireplace (but won't be all that close). Behind that will be a buffet storage type piece under the stairs.

A bookshelf or cabinet will sit under each window on either side of the fireplace and two (not matching) chairs will be on either side of the fireplace. I'd like one of them to be neutral and the other to be something more bold. (I also have a wood bench/chair that I had purchased for under one window-- that's an option in my back pocket)

My question is-- do I want a medium or dark sectional? I lean towards a dark brown or a gunmetal/grey-green leather but I am a little afraid it will cut the room too much.

Is a sectional the wrong decision for the room? I definitely can't fit a standard sofa and loveseat comfortably.

It's just me and two dogs here-- but I often have my nieces over for movie nights and entertain 1-3 other adults (any larger gatherings are outside) so I don't need LOTS of seating but I'd like to be able to accomodate a few comfortably.

All thoughts appreciated-- I need to make a purchase tomorrow (if I want to catch the sale prices).

This is a really rudimentary model of what i am picturing. Click for a larger view.

Comments (17)