SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fandlil

Beef Stew & Fat Content

fandlil
15 years ago

Although beef stew is not exactly a low fat dish, it is possible to minimize the fat content, I think. My question concerns how you go about thickening the gravy. There are at least 2 ways: (1) Saute the beef cubes without dredging them in flour first, and after the stew is cooked, strain it and, if you have time, refrigerate the solids and liquid in separate containers. In a few hours the fat will rise to the top of the liquid and congeal, so you can easily remove it. Then, to thicken the gravy you can cook some flour in butter for a few minutes and then add it to the gravy to thicken it. OR: you can cook some corn starch in a small qualtity of the gravy (no fat), and then add it to the gravy to thicken it. OR: If you cooked some potatoes in the stew, you can mash one or two of them up and mix the mashed potato into the gravy to thicken it. All of these methods produce the right kind of thickening but you may have to play around with the quantities to get it right. (2) The second method involves dredging the beef cubes in flour before you saute them. Then, the flour become a part of the liquid in which the stew is cooked, and it thickens it. The problem with this method is that at the end, if you strain the stew and store the liquid and solids separately because you want to remove the fat that rises in the liquid and congeals, you'll find you cannot do that because the flour that you used to dredge the beef before sauteing it has become distributed throughout the liquid and now holds the fat in suspension, so it cannot rise to the top. The gravy will be nicely thickened, and it will taste very good, not greasy. But it will have fat in it, saturated fat that you could have avoided it you had refrained from dredging the meat with flour before sauteing it.

I'm sorry to be so lengthy in my question. Am I correct about the higher fat content of the gravy if you dredge compared to if you do not dredge? Has anyone done a direct comparison to answer the question? Thanks.

Comments (8)