SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

What's wrong with my fudge?

jenn
16 years ago

On Tuesday night I made a batch of the 1-bowl chocolate fudge from a recipe that was posted here or on the recipe forum. It's great-tasting fudge and I made it last year with success. It's only 4 ingredients: 16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, 1 can sweetened condensed milk (heated together until the chocolate melts), 2 tsp. vanilla and 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts.

This year, though it tastes delicious, a very thin layer of fat settled on the surface as it cooled in the pan, leaving that filmy-white stuff that looks like butter fat. It doesn't affect the taste, it just doesn't look very good.

I triple-checked the recipe to make sure I did all the right things -- which I did.

The ONLY thing I did differently this year was to use the Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bars (4 oz. each) from the baking section instead of another brand of chocolate. I'm certain I didn't use the G. bars last year. Could that be it?? Everything else was exactly the same. OR, perhaps I didn't stir it *exactly* as long as last year, but the ingredients were well incorporated when I poured it into the pan.

Comments (8)