SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Teresa MN - I finally cooked the wild rice!

shambo
13 years ago

I got swamped with meetings & trying to get baking done for our Christmas trip. As a result, it took me longer than anticipated to get around to making the wild rice. But tonight was the night.

I made a pilafi. I followed your instructions for baking the rice and used chicken broth for the liquid. After 30 minutes in the oven, I thought the texture was fine. I drained the excess liquid, put the rice back into the casserole, and put it back it the turned off oven to steam while I sauteed some vegetables. I used carrots, leeks, & celery seasoned with some dried thyme. Once the vegetables were softened, I tossed them with half of the rice and served with a sprinkle of toasted almond slivers.

I took a picture while the rice was still in its serving bowl, but I think you can get the idea. We really enjoyed it. I liked the chewiness and there was no mush factor at all. I still have half of the cooked rice for tomorrow. Maybe a salad or maybe another pilafi. I read a few recipes online for wild rice patties. That's something I do all the time with leftover brown rice. I bet it would be good with wild rice too.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the rice. I'm looking forward to using it again.

Sue

Comments (3)