SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Layered Wild Rice Casserole

doucanoe
13 years ago

Teresa has been wondering what I would make with the wild rice she sent to me. I finally had an opportunity to use some of it tonight. This is what I made. It was quite good! I had the recipe...saved from inside a package of wild rice I bought years ago.

LAYERED BROCCOLI - WILD RICE CASSEROLE

2 T butter

2 T onion, finely chopped

2 T all-purpose flour

1 c. milk

1/2 c. sour cream

4 c. hot, cooked wild rice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1 lb. broccoli, trimmed and halved lengthwise

1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese

6 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled

In a heavy 10 inch skillet over moderate heat, melt the butter. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 5 minutes). Blend in the flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk and simmer, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened and smooth. Blend in sour cream and remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper.

Steam broccoli until just tender. Drain well, cut in half lengthwise.

Layer half the wild rice in a buttered 2 quart baking dish. Cover rice with half the sauce mixture. Arrange broccoli, cut side down, flowerettes pointing toward the edge along sides of casserole. Add second layer of rice and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle cheese and bacon over all. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, covered, 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until cheese is bubbling - 10 minutes longer.

Thanks again, Teresa!

Linda

Comments (4)