SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

Beef Tenderloin - Well that didn't go well.

cookingrvc
14 years ago

David (lakeguy) posted that if he could do this, then anyone could. So I followed the directions and well, the roast was underdone. Totally my fault.

Our guest are not 'rare' people; neither are DH or I. DH told me to cook it to 135 and I scoffed it would be overdone so I had our helper take it out at 130. It sat for 20 minutes and next I knew she had cut it into nice thick steaks which were rare - like 'red-in-the-middle' rare.

My only choice at that point was to squish all the steaks together and put them back in the oven. We took them out 8 minutes later and they were better but still a little rare.

The next thing I observed was that the steaks have less structure when not cooked on both sides.

The meat was fantastic and everyone ate it, but I was so disappointed that we made two more steaks for dinner tonight (through a misunderstanding my Italian store made up two roasts instead of one, so we had cut the other into steaks and popped them into the freezer).

This time I pan browned them in a cast iron, and cooked them to 137 degrees then let them rest for 10 minutes. They were perfect.

I think I have a personal preference for cooking the steaks individually. I clearly have a problem being given cooking instructions from DH, but I'll have to work on that.

It was a lovely evening with a lot of laughs.

Here's a pic of the table before the food and guests (10) overwhelmed it.

Sue

Comments (27)