SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

Well, I didn't listen...

vistajpdf
16 years ago

Yesterday, DH and my Dr. planned for us (the two wives) to accompany them for golf. We said that we would, but I told DH that my parents were feeling a little tired (Mom cares for my boys M, W, F when I work - and this week, I'm working M,T,W instead of the normal, so this amounts to 4 days in a row for my mom who has a nagging back/shoulder right now) and asked if his DDs would consider watching one or two of the boys to help my mother.

He said, "Ok." But, it was apparent nothing was 'set' and I think he banked on me not really wanting them/trusting them and having my parents as a back-up. I sat back and waited. At noon yesterday - an hour before we were leaving the house to play, he said, "The girls are in Palm Beach snorkeling w/ the bf - they won't be able to watch anyone..." My parents arrived on time and were probably relieved to have the three boys w/o the SDs interference...or so they thought.

Anyway, after 9 LONG holes (we wives aren't the low handicappers our DHs are, lol), I called my parents to see how things were. My mother whispered, 'I had the little one asleep when in charged this trio - the 2 girls and the bf...they got the boys all fired up, and then went swimming and naturally, the boys followed them.' My mother was a nervous wreck as the baby (3 y.o.) jumps off the diving board to me all the time, but it's tough for him to swim to the side as he's new to swimming and can barely come up to take a breath. Our pool is very large (45X23), so the side isn't right there. Anyway, the girls were on rafts, at the other end, encouraging the baby to jump off, etc. At one point, my father nearly jumped in fully clothed worried about the youngest. The grown kids were oblivious - had become engrossed in a conversation w/ one another in the shallow end. Then, my parents just said that the boys ought to come out to get ready to go to dinner, etc.

I have NO idea why they went to the house. It was clear when DH spoke to them that my parents would be babysitting. My mother said that arrived unexpectedly, went into the refrigerator, made something to eat, looked around, watched some TV, then went in the pool. If they were in Palm Beach, it's an hour away. I don't know if they planned on helping or thought the boys would be at my parents' house, so they could take over.

Of course there was no luck in that SD did NOT clean up that messy room and I just haven't had the time. It's still sitting there behind a closed door! I never boxed or bagged up the trash, but when I have a few days off at the end of the week, it's on my priority list...and I will deliver it as I don't want her going through it and saying, "You can just toss the rest..." let her do the tossing at her place.

Southern, you are so right - never ask, trust or depend on them. It will never work, it will never be easy, it will never be fine...We are TWO very different families and I'm sorry my parents had to be subjected to the visit, which was more of an intrusion. I'm sorry I feel that way, but after the description from my mother (who has sugar-coated it, no doubt, to not anger me), I'm thinking they most likely figured the house was empty and wanted a little party atmosphere...

Dana

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor