SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Feasibility of swapping laundry and bathroom

I have a laundry closet next to a bathroom. The bathroom includes a 3' X 2 1/2' shower, toilet and sink, plus the exterior side door that leads down to the garage and garbage cans. The bathroom is approx. 6' wide by 8' long, with an additional 3' X 2' space that is currently a broom closet. There is room to extend the laundry closet to make it a full size 5X9 room. I would like to swap the laundry and bathroom locations. This would enable me to include a tub/shower in the bathroom and would put the exterior side door in the laundry/mud room instead of the bathroom.

My question is whether it is feasible (or worth the expense) to swap the two rooms.

Here is some background on the house:

The house is a split level built into a hillside in Southern California/Orange County. The garage is at what would be basement level, the living room and entry about a 1/2 story above and to the left of the garage, then the main part of the house where the bathroom and laundry are located is about 3 feet above the living room/entry level, and behind the living/entry and garage area. The main level is over a crawl space that is approx. 4-5 feet high. There is a second bathroom on the third level that backs to the current bathroom location. In the third level bathroom, the sinks are directly over the garage, but the tub and toilet are over the crawl space, and back to the bathroom we want to change. Right now, the shower in the bathroom we want to move is in the location where the toilet is in the upstairs bathroom. The two rooms back to one another, but the third level bathroom is approximately 2' higher than than the main level bathroom (the one we want to change). The shower plumbing is on the exterior wall rather than the shared wall.

The current plumbing order from exterior wall to the interior end run of the bathroom and laundry closet is as follows: 3' shower (plumbing is currently on the exterior wall rather than the shared interior wall where all other plumbing is located), toilet, 3' sink vanity, front load washer, gas dryer, sink. The proposed order would be: small broom closet where the shower is now (eliminating plumbing in exterior wall); gas dryer, washer, sink (in existing location); tub+shower, toilet, sink (in existing location). The new toilet location would be approximately 7-8 feet away from its current location, along the same wall.

The house was built in 1964, but the plumbing was replaced in the early 1990s with all copper. The washing machine has the current standard sized pipe, and the dryer is gas. There is a ceiling fan/vent in the bathroom but not in the laundry closet (there is only attic crawl space above this area; an exhaust vent and solar tube would be added to increase exhaust and natural light in the room).

Comment