SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlinek

Please: Had trouble using springform pan!

arlinek
14 years ago

I love Quiche Lorraine and am often trying diff. recipes to find that "special" one that seems to elude me. In our local S. Diego paper was just printed a new one to me but the initial part gave me fits. It called for rolling out a sgl. ready-made (Pillsbury-type) crust to 13" instead of the 9" it comes in and placing in a springform pan, with the vertical sides going up to the top and OVER the edge and pressing it down on the outside "so the crust doesn't fall over". Then, when done, you're supposed to trim off the excess top all the way around (yeah, and do that without making the crust crack!) Well, I could clearly see that 13" wouldn't even be big enough to accomplish that (nor could I roll out a 9" crust to 13" without seeing through it) so I made a homemade crust X 1.5 and rolled it out, although still not big enough to overlap at the top. It went up about 1/2 + of the way and I pricked it all over. Of course, what happened? I checked it after about 5-6 min. and half of it had already flopped over onto the bottom of the crust. So, I attempted to pull up those parts again and prop them up with balled-up foil but it just didn't work. When it came time to fill the crust with the quiche part, it started leaking in the cracks that formed when it had fallen over. I did foil the bottom of the pan but it even leaked through that - guess I tore the foil a little. I finally placed a cookie sheet underneath the pan but by then the leaking stopped. My question: I like the concept of making a higher-than-normal quiche that way (instead of using the std. pie plate). This way, I could conceivably (sp?) make it 3" high. BUT, how do I make the crust stay up that high going up the sides of the springform pan? I don't need or want it to go to the top and over as that would be TOO high, just MUCH deeper than a std. pie plate or even deep dish one. Any ideas?

Comments (14)