SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennisjones_gw

too much pressure?

dennisjones
16 years ago

Hi,

I just finished re-piping my entire house (except the hose bibs) with PEX to replace the 34-year old, ready-to-break-at-any-moment galvanized pipe. I installed a new Moen tub/shower valve in one bathroom (the other bathroom is just a shower, no tub) and now when I turn on the tub faucet, I get a fair trickle of water out of the shower head. I checked the spout, and it is clear. I even took the spout off and just let the pipe run wide open, and I still get water out of the shower head. I also know for certain that the shower valve is installed right-side-up (it has a stamp on it that says, "UP"! Kinda hard to get that wrong).

When the water is running at the tub spout, I get lots of good pressure -- MUCH better than I ever had with the old pipes.

The hot/cold lines running to the valve are 1/2" PEX. I also used 1/2" PEX to 1/2" drop ears for both the shower riser and the tub spout.

So, I am wondering...is it possible that I now have TOO MUCH pressure? Here are the changes I made to the overall system:

1) Replaced the main 3/4" gate valve with a 1" full-port ball valve. The output from that is reduced to 3/4" PEX.

2) Installed a whole house water filter (which should actually reduce the pressure a little bit, right?).

3) The line running to the water heater had been 1/2" galvanized. I replaced it with 3/4" PEX.

4) The old system was all branch and tee. The new system uses 3/4" PEX with 4 x 1/2" tee's at the kitchen (Sink, D/W, I/M), and then multi-port copper manifolds near the bathrooms with 3/4" inlets and 1/2" outlets.

Is my new plumbing system *too* good? :-) What should I do?

Comments (9)