SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Help with foyer accents and finishes please (pics)

equest17
15 years ago

I've been working through our "new" 1970's house in the 8 months since we've been here, updating, remodeling, and decorating. My latest project is the foyer, where I scraped popcorn ceiling, hung a new light fixture, painted, and wallpapered an accent wall in grasscloth. I'm really liking the overall appearance, but I'd appreciate some feedback on accents and finishing touches.

We've had the opportunity to travel a bit already in our early years, so I used some collected pieces as the inspiration. The three pottery vases are from Peru and the two sepia prints from Columbia. None are valuable, but we enjoy looking at them. I pulled the aqua color from the vases and painted some posterboard for mats.

I bought the tall candlesticks in the corner on eBay planning to paint them, but now I'm not sure. I considered black, but I think I have too many black objects already. I like the idea of the aqua (it's close to SW Moody Blue, but I had them gray it down a bit) with maybe dark brown candles on top? I still need to hang the mirror and I have three small crown molding shelves I could hang. They would tie in with the crown molding edge on the entry table. Should they go on the little piece of wall to the left of the entry door? (There's a closet door just outside the left edge of the third photograph, so there is about 20" of wall space and the shelves are 10" long).

I also have fabric picked out for a cornice above the blind on the door and maybe a table runner? Or some sort of wall tapestry? I love the fabric and it seems to tie all the colors and textures together to me, but I'm not sure where to use it (I sew and upholster, so I have more fabric than ideas sometimes ;-). That's a 12" ruler on the fabric, to give you a sense of scale.

I do plan to make a grasscloth cover for the white thermostat, and the potted plant is sitting on an upside down planter just to give me an idea about height and size. I think I need something to balance the other side. Another plant? Upholstered ottoman? I would love to hear anyone's ideas or opinions about any of the above. Even things I didn't mention!

{{gwi:1642556}}

{{gwi:1642557}}

{{gwi:1642559}}

{{gwi:1642561}}

Comments (25)

• teacats
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

GREAT job on the grasscloth -- it looks amazing!

O.K. -- my two cents worth (LOL!)

a) Remove all of the objects for now. Move the table over to the left and find a lamp (maybe a short round one in a dark color) and add an aqua lamp shade. Maybe a vintage 70s ceramic lamp -- just for fun? Sit the lamp on the left hand side of the table top.

b) Add a large aqua glass or ceramic dish to the table top (handy to hold incoming mail etec.) OR add a dark-toned flat woven tray OR a dark wood box.

c) Add short dark wall shelves OR those display boxes that folks hang on walls -- above the table -- maybe stagger them across that wall. Add vases to the shelves or display boxes.

d) Find a vintage bench or stool (dark wood) -- and cover OR create a cushion with your gorgeous cloth. Measure the space on the right-hand side of the table (after you have shifted it to the left)

e) UNTIL you find a perfect bench or stool -- find a short dark stand -- and place your fountain there.

f) I do like the color of the candlesticks AND their current location -- simply add chunky white candles. Hang the wall mirror (very handy in that location!!)

g) I like the idea of the cornice -- BUT the present blind does look very nice plain too! Perhaps you could cover a lampshade for the new lamp with the fabric (as well as the new bench or stool cushion)

Just some ideas!

Jan

• equest17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Jan. Do you think the table should go all the way to the left? I ask because the table is 16" deep but the wall there in the corner is only 13" deep. Since the staircase slants down, it was hard to decide whether to center the table or go somewhere to the left or right. And there is a large cold air return that I was trying to disguise; I painted it to blend with the grasscloth, but the table hid it pretty well (or at least distracted the eye from it).

I love the table lamp idea. That would add layers of lighting and also be a place to use the fabric in the lampshade. My concern with mounting the vases instead of being on the table is that the one on the far right has a wide mouth, almost 7" across. I was originally going to put them on the crown molding shelves, but this vase is far too deep. Do they make display boxes or bracketless shelves at least 8" or more deep? Im fairly handy and have made picture frames before, so maybe I could make some simple deep shadowbox shelves if need be.

I was going to leave the bamboo blinds on the door and just add a cornice across the top over the blind header. The current door is actually solid wood, so the blind is just a "faux window" treatment. I have matching blinds in the office off the foyer, so when I found this size on clearance, I bought it since I hope to have a door with glass at some point.

It sounds like you think the candlesticks are fine the color they are? They sort of have a shabby chic appearance, which is not really my style; I usually like a clean look, not so vintage and distressed. But after I put them in place the green seemed to work somehow, so I wasnÂt sure. And you think white candles on top, not brown or aqua?

• Related Discussions

Help w/ contemp/modern colors for GR & Foyer (pics incl)

Q

Comments (5)
    stloc, the colors were used in separate rooms. I did do an accent wall in a sage green color, but wished I would have just used 1 shade darker on the strip to do the accent wall in. I can try to take some pictures of the perfect greige for you, but it won't look near as good as it would on your walls because I have dark mahogany trim, not white. I think it would look stunning with white. Maybe someone on here with more expertise could recommend an accent color if you like either of these colors on your walls.
    ...See More

Help with accent colors..pics

Q

Comments (6)
    White flowers on the mantel would look very nice, perhaps in a dark pottery vase that will complement the rusticity of the fireplace. I'd keep the decor there very simple, perhaps the clock on one side and some stacked books on the other. Family photos rarely seem to look good on a fireplace for some reason. I like your coffee table but I wouldn't use a runner on it and instead would think about painting it a dark color, perhaps even black. Again, keep the decor on it simple and clean. I'd use plain cream colored pillows that have some texture on the burgundy furniture. Has the room been painted yet? If not, perhaps a more grayed, less pink and somehwat lighter color would be nice. The beadboarding is nice but in this room seems to cut the space in half horizontally and makes the area look disjointed. My apologies if this is an already completed project. The display case in the back is very nice but looks a little awkward at the end of that wall. Could it be put somewhere in a more prominent position in the middle of a wall. I think the wood flooring will add a lot to give elegance and character to this space.
    ...See More

dijon....putty....red....then what? color help please! pics pics

Q

Comments (3)
    What color are your countertops? Depending on what color they are, I think you could do a terracotta type color, but be careful with your kitchen table and chairs, which appear a little orangey on my monitor. I have "orangey" furniture in my dining room (natural cherry) and chose to paint the walls a pale creamy terracotta color (it's BM Aura, I think the color is 'Milk & Honey'). You could also take the next-lighter color on the same 'chip' as BM Dijon, or maybe two steps down, and use that color. I don't have my paint deck with me to see what those colors are. But what I'm thinking is that it doesn't have to be a "new" color -- could be a variation on another color you already have. Again, I don't have my colors here, so I don't know how any of this would play out with the Northampton Putty (is the living room open to the kitchen?).
    ...See More

please help me finish my breakfast room! w/pics

Q

Comments (17)
    Some leather upholstered parsons chairs would go nicely with the lines of the table and the cabinetry, and would also have the same lines as the stools. Maybe you even want to do the red leather, as you've already established that as an accent color, and it looks like there's some red in the carpet under the table. Big plus -- they're easily dressed up with a slipcover when you're ready for a change. I think I can see quite a bit of wrought iron or oil rubbed bronze in the knobs, curtain rods & table lamps. I would use this as the jumping off point for the ceiling fixture. If you like chandeliers, maybe a curvy bronze chandelier with a few crystals hanging down (I mean a fun & flirty one, not a gaudy 70's number, lol!). Or you could go with a straighter lined one -- look at Pottery Barn Lowell & Veranda, for examples. I don't necessarily think the red side chairs are wrong...but I'm curious what bothers you about them. TO me it's just that they're kind of floating there with no real purpose. Like, if that's meant to be a reading area or a place to have a cup of tea, they need a little table between them. Think about what you want that space to be, and then you'll know how to address the chairs. Hth! Leigh
    ...See More
  • teacats
    15 years ago

Try shifting the table JUST a bit more to the left -- of course -- the exact location will depend on the size and shape of the lamp ..... AND if you get a bench or stool for the right-hand side .... ((its all a matter of inches!!! LOL!))

Try leaving the larger vase on the table (on the left until you find a lamp) -- and add some taller faux grasses. Yes -- shadow boxes would work well for the other two vases -- and THEN when you do add the lamp -- the larger vase could slide to the right hand side with slightly lower faux greenery (so it won't compete with the lamp)

Jan

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Can't help with the decorating ideas (I'm decor-challenged), but I've gotta say I love the grasscloth! It looks great!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I'm sorry but the candlesticks don't speak to me, especially in juxtapositon with your other items. I would also take the blind off the door; I don't think it adds to the decor. I like the black table more or less where it is but would hang something to the left of it to balance the pictures on the other side. I would go for a clean look and take out the plant and vase on the floor. I love the black table and wouldn't put on a cloth. It has such nice lines. What you put on the wall near the table is very important. I don't know your taste so really don't know what to suggest, but is should be striking and beautiful. I think perhaps some books on the table might warm up the look.

• boringmama
    15 years ago

What about moving the table into the center and putting the candlesticks on either side of the lovely table (which I would not cover) and put a lovely tallish plant in the corner where the mirror is or under the pics (centered) I love the wallcovering. Use chocolate candles in the tall candlesticks and maybe an old book at an angle with a small silk plant on top of the book? Peeking into the rest, the home looks warm and inviting. Good job!
    Denise

• ronbre
    15 years ago

the first thing i would do is to move the dark table a little more to the right..centering it better on the wall.. the candlesticks are nice..i think the mirror might be a bit much in the room..but it would be OK on that wall if you want it there i guess..possibly horizontally over the black table? take the things off of the floor and put a few things of varied heights on the table..something taller toward the door and shorter toward the right..and then maybe a 3rd item to balance them out

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Did you not like the grass cloth enough to do the whole area in grass cloth? I think that would give the area such a polished look.

Not sure about all the small items. I think one big item on the table or on the wall above it and perhaps a large container on the floor with tall blond pampas grass would be appealing. Can you use the prints and vases somewhere else?

The colors seem out of synch with the grass cloth but then it could be my eyes, and if so, just chalk it up to old lady eyes. I think I had the very same grass cloth in my foyer at one time in my life in a 70s house with a sofa table that I painted black and I had a large dogwood print in a beautiful oriental red and white bowl over the table with a pair of brass candlesticks and a brass lamp, which were in keeping with grass cloth given the Eastern/Oriental influence. On the table, I had a bowl that was similar to the one in the print with the lighting fixture more flush to the ceiling. I think it had crystals, so it was not totally Oriental. To be honest, they were probably Austrian crystals.

I think some cinnamon colors in that area would be fantastic. Can you remat the prints with paprika or cinnamon mats.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

I think what you have looks great. I would scoot the table over a little & remove the things on the floor next to it. I would remove the candlesticks too. It think that's all you need. I love the posterboard painted matting. What a great idea!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Those vases are so beautiful, I would group them together on one side and add the black buffet lamp on the other; if you center the black table on the wall, I would not put anything on the floor. Once your mirror is hung, the candlesticks would look nice there although if you can use them elsewhere,
    the corner could be empty and it would look fine.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I love your grasscloth, vases, artwork, and area rug. As someone else mentioned, if you could wrap the grasscloth all the way around the room, it would be a knockout. Since you sew (boy, do I envy you!), you might consider adding a deep (black?) border to the area rug.

I'd shift the table left so that the grate is centered below it. The lamp idea is great; or just keep the vases -- they look great. I would not use the fountain or plant, however -- I think they sort of muddy up the simple, elegant lines you have. Candlesticks, maybe, or maybe not.

The mirror is a good idea, but I think the shape and color is too similar to that of the artwork frames. Maybe you could hang it to the left of the door. But I think probably a larger mirror would be better -- perhaps in a metallic finish.

• equest17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. You know, I hadnt even noticed the table position. I just dragged it over once I finished assembling and stuck it in front of the grate!

I love the grasscloth but due to expense and difficulty, I didnt want to wallpaper the whole foyer. There are four doorways and a continuous wall up the stairwell that would have made cutting and ending the paper very awkward. The wall paint color really does blend better with the grasscloth in real life. As it is, Im not sure whether I like the abrupt transition of the foyer paint color to the stairwell color above the doorframe, but I saw someone elses post about a great idea of a custom art piece the exact size above the door to hide the transition. You can see the paint line in this picture, as well as all the doors into the room. Since I hope to have a future door with glass, it seemed to make sense to hang the blind now (which I had to buy now since they were closing out that size) and make the cornice. I felt it broke up all the white doors and made it fit with the room better. But Id be open to other suggestions; maybe painting the entry door? Its white on both sides currently and could use more emphasis for curb appeal from the outside as well.

{{gwi:1642563}}

Those two little skinny watercolors don't have to stay between the doorways; we bought those near Machu Picchu and I just scotch taped them with their mats up there when we moved in so I wouldn't damage or misplace them. They do bring in some color, though. Would they work framed somewhere in the room? I don't really have a plan for them yet.

I do really want to use the framed prints and vases in this room, though; they were my reason for the colors and design. I would be disappointed to think the inspiration pieces for the room no longer worked in the room they inspired. I wasnt going for an Asian look with the grasscloth, just an earthy feel to pull in the terra cotta flagstone floor. I can see changing some of the accessories or adding one large piece, though, to give it more oomph.

I centered the table (almost, I cant fully cover the vent and leave access to the outlet at the same time if truly centered ;-) I moved the fountain to the other side and grouped the vases. The candlesticks dont really look good to me to the left of the table, but I used them to balance a board to hold the molding shelf up on the wall for a mockup. It feels like I need something tall there on the floor, but maybe the three black molding shelves mounted on the wall would be enough? I could only balance one and it's probably too high, so it's hard to tell.

I only had one spare lamp, but its not what Jan recommended. Do you think something like a buffet lamp like this tall thin one or squat and round is better? Something in between?

{{gwi:1642564}}

{{gwi:1642564}}

I did a quick mockup for the cornice also and stuck it on top of the blinds. This picture is taken from three steps up on the landing.

{{gwi:1642565}}

The mirror and fountain don't have to stay, but we like both. We enjoy the gurgling water from all rooms of the house since it's centered in the foyer and we wanted a mirror somewhere by the door to check appearances. It might work well to the left of the door as suggested, but then the wall on the right looks big and empty to me. I just plopped those plants there, but it looks odd. I like the pampas grass idea, but wouldn't that have to be in another vase, which might start to look like overkill in the room?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm terrible at accessorizing so I can't be of any help, but I wanted to comment on your table. Love it, I have one just like it, in the wood tone finish. Seems to be a very popular table.

One thing I will recommend and that is, take all the small items out of the room. The clean slate will make it easier for you to visualize things.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

The two very narrow watercolors, when framed, would fit well on the narrow wall to the left of the front door. I can see now that that wall is too narrow for the mirror.

If you keep the plants, I think they need a substantial looking planter to avoid too many small objects in a small space. Much as I like your candlesticks, I think there's too much going on. Could they continue the foyer color into another room?

• mjlb
    15 years ago

One more possibly nutty idea: could you upholster your mirror frame in grasscloth?

• equest17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brutuses, that Collin table is great, isn't it? Its only new piece of furniture Ive ever bought! When we got married 8 years ago, we had between the two of us boxes of textbooks, one twin bed, and a dresser. Im too frugal to buy much new, so its taken awhile to actually furnish a house ;-) Were out of grad school days now, but since I got the table on clearance with a gift card, I guess we dont change our stripes too much.

Great ideas mjlb. The more I looked at the room photos, the more I liked those little watercolors in there somewhere. The wall to the left of the entry door would be perfect. Would black frames and aqua mats like the sepia prints suit these too?

I actually made a grasscloth picture mat for the sepia prints first, before I realized there was no contrast there and it needed more color. I could certainly do a grasscloth frame for the mirror. Would the same vertical placement to the right of the door work better then you think?

Somehow on the post above I got two of the same picture; I guess my copy and paste didnt work the second time. Here is another angle of the accent wall. I've since moved the candlesticks over by the closet door. I do like the molding shelves on the grasscloth. Since I have three, how should I arrange them on the wall? Do I need something in that left corner by the table or leave it empty? And what do people recommend for a lamp base, assuming I do the fabric shown above for the shade?

{{gwi:1642566}}

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Since the watercolors are colorful, I'd stick with white or off-white mats -- larger than currently shown, with wood or metal narrow frames. IMO, upholstering the mirror frame with grasscloth would work in that corner where you show it, because it would compete less with the framed sepia prints.

Not sure of this - just throwing it out there: maybe a tall floor lamp for the corner, rather than a table lamp. It would add some height, give you the soft lighting, and allow the table top to be used to highlight solely the vases. Finding the right floor lamp would probably be a lot more difficult than finding a table lamp tho'.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm .... how about this table lamp?

Jan

• teacats
    15 years ago

Or this one?

Jan

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well - I still like the long mirror by the door -- so handy! And I do like the artworks in their mats and frames!

Consider moving the plants out of the foyer -- perhaps the candlesticks back in that place? IF you choose to have them by the dark table -- THEN you should paint them satin black to work better by the table .....

As for the lamp -- your brass one fits in fine for now! And you had a brillant idea to add the height with the stacked books! :)

And the wall shelf looks great too!

Jan

• equest17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooh, I love the lamps Jan. They're each so different, but I think I like the first one. I've never had a short, rounder lamp though, so maybe I need to buy some cheap ones at the thrift store and try out different shapes.

I too like the mirror by the door; it functions well there. I bought it because I felt it coordinated well with the framed prints, but it sounds like people think it should contrast them instead? Or blend into the wall?

Any ideas on arranging the three wall ledges? After all the work to hang the grasscloth, I hesitate to put holes all over it and get it wrong!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I feel that the dangling cord of the lamp and the candlesticks ruin the beautiful lines of the table. There is too much going on there around the table, in my opinion. Of course things look different in real life and it's important that it look good to you rather than me.

• equest17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ingrid. As I mentioned above, I've already moved the candlesticks. I really only put them there to hold the wall shelf up as a mockup. The cord I really notice right now is the fountain cord since it's a thick black grounded plug, but I think I can get a cord hider to put it in and run it neatly along the baseboard. The lamp cord won't be seen once it's actually plugged in.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Good point about making holes in the grasscloth -- I wouldn't do it!

• teacats
    15 years ago

The exact position of the ledges will have to wait until you find the right lamp and lampshade anyway! LOL!

Also -- IF you find a bench or stool for the right-hand side of the table (which MIGHT need to slide a bit more to the left) -- again -- you may want to shift the wall shelves -- so try to wait until the right elements are in "play" here .... and then decide about the shelves .....

For now -- I do like the lamp and the position of the three vases -- just switch the taller greener one to the back of the triangle .....

Again -- for now -- IF you need something on the left of the table -- perhaps a tall umbrella stand might work? (something fairly simple and dark) OR perhaps a larger simple dark vase with tall "sticks" in it? Just a thought!

Jan