Why Isn't My Chicken Soup Broth, Well...Chickeny?
13 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Discussions
Clam juice substitute-chicken broth, really?
Comments (48)"The Oyster Bar is a great place in NYC." Indeed!!! That menu hasn't changed noticeably in decades. It's an incredible selection and you can count on everything to be just excellent. All the preparations are classic, no chasing after trends. I'm always amazed at the oyster selection. Desert lovers will be happy there too. It has a unique business-like ambience with rather industrial, tiled, vaulted ceilings. Out-of-towners should be aware that they aren't open week-ends, so plan your days accordingly. It's hard to describe this restaurant adequately. It has style, history, a special type of charm and that astounding menu. I can't think of a place I'd rather eat. I wish I could get there often. Jim...See MoreRECIPE: Chicken Soup -can you subsitute chicken parts?
Comments (8)You can use any part of a chicken that you find on sale for making chicken broth. I buy packages of chicken necks & backs just for making broth. Not a whole lot of meat, but it really doesn't matter if you simmer the broth for several hours. By the time you're done, the meat has pretty much given up all its flavor. If your goal is to make broth & use the meat for soup, I think legs, and especially thighs, are a good choice. They are more flavorful than breasts and hold up to long cooking. As far as too much broth, you don't need to fill your dutch oven. Just make the amount of water equal to what you want to finally end up with. Or, you could make a larger amount and freeze the extra broth. However, there's absolutely no reason why you can't use a smaller saucepan with just a few pieces of chicken. I think browning the chicken pieces either in the stock pot or in the oven adds a richer flavor to the chicken broth. I always include a chunked up carrot, onion, and celery stalk, along with a bay leaf, some whole black peppercorns, and a couple of whole allspice. The longer you simmer the broth, the deeper and fuller the flavor. I usually strain the broth using a strainer lined with some cheesecloth & toss all the solids. However, if I have used some really meaty chicken pieces, I remove the bones & skin and set the meat aside for use later. Then I refrigerate the broth overnight & scrape off the congealed fat. If I'm making soup with the strained & de-fatted broth, I'll use fresh vegetables....See MoreHow long is chicken broth good?
Comments (12)Broth stored in the refrigerator with the fat layer intact does keep a lot longer than without the fat layer, in my experience. "Larding" is an old preservation technique that you might like to research. Without the fat layer, I don't keep broth in the refrigerator for more than 3-4 days. If I have freezer space, I freeze in various size milk cartons--from the 1/2 pint whipping cream size up to 1/2 gallon. These stack nicely due to their square shape, are free for the saving, can be re-used several times (disinfect with a little bleach in water), defrost in the microwave or peel away the carton & add to the pot in a frozen state. Label & date with a Sharpie (before filling to avoid problems using the Sharpie because of condensation on the carton.) And no worry about breaking. I staple the top closed before I freeze. Just remember to remove the staples if you defrost in the microwave. Often as not, I end up canning the broth because my freezer is full. Am on the lookout for a tall pressure canner that will accommodate 1/2 gallon sized jars since I often need 2 qts of broth when making soup--and I'd rather use half as many canning lids if possible. I know there are all sorts of warnings about canning 1/2 gallon sizes but, because broth isn't dense, I'm not especially worried about the risks....See MoreQ: Ajiaco Colombiano -- chicken, potato & corn soup
Comments (5)Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Sorry, it has taken me a while to get back here. Sol -- thanks for the info about ajiaco also being a Cuban dish. I looked online to refresh my memory about culantro. I think we bought some once, but I was used to cilantro and prefered that. I pinkmountain -- funny. I bet a lot of weeds taste alike. The hares and cottontail rabbits in our yard seem to think there's a difference. I have not yet tried our dandelions, purselane, and smartweed. Ci_lantro - Wow! Thanks so much for all of that information. I _knew_ that there had to be a good reason why those papas criollas were not in our markets. They are so delicious and I bet more than a few hundred people returning from visits to Bogota' have risked secreting them away in luggage for their own use. I'll have to read and learn more about why they cannot be grown in the US. Maybe in Denver? Even so, we need more imports. I've been thinking or ordering some from online, but how would they remain frozen for an affordable price? Hmm. That POTATO PROJECT link is interesting. I've planted whole Kennebec (Maine) potatoes and ate them after digging them up -- no drying outside. Delicious; especially the small ones. I see a lot of fingerling and even blue potatoes at the farm market. I'll probably go with those. I am about 45 miles from Boston, but I think there is a Colombian enclave in East Boston. Kind of a trek for soup. My bit of the weed galinsoga has dried. Not tasted it yet. I think l pinkmountain is going to be right -- it's just going to taste like one more lawn weed. I don't think the Bogota housekeeper/cook used it. She did use the papa criolla, cow corn, chicken, cilantro and capers (maybe crema). Guess I'll have to make a few batches ;-) Another soup I want to make soon is the Greek avgolemono -- chicken-lemon soup with orzo or rice. I've had it served cold and served warm. Another is vichyssoise. Love it. I froze some last September and served it hot in February. Yummy. Thanks again, folks. If I make the ajiaco, I will post photos and a review or notes. Last week I made mussels -- moules mariniere -- and the leftovers were great. I found some mussels (Mytilus edulis) for $1/pound that were super fresh and plump. I bet it would freeze well. I need to make space in my freezer!...See More- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 13 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: The Well-Stocked Starter Kitchen
We’ve got all the kitchen basics and tableware you need (or that recent grad needs) to make cooking a joy
Full Story
HOME TECH3 Kitchen Contraptions You Won’t Believe
Pizza hot from the printer, anyone? These cooking gadgets harness imagination and high tech — and have price tags to match
Full Story
COMMUNITY15 Ways to Make Your Neighborhood Better
Does your community lack ... well, a sense of community? Here's how to strengthen that neighborly spirit
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEDoes Your Home Make You Happy?
How to design an interior that speaks to your heart as well as your eyes
Full Story
LIFEHow to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
LIFEHard Winter? 9 Ways to Battle Cabin Fever
We know a lot of you are trapped where it just won’t stop snowing. Here are some ways to survive
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHaving a Design Moment: The Kitchen
Take a peek at 11 design opportunities you shouldn't overlook in the kitchen
Full Story
LIFETable Manners for Modern-Day Dining
Elbows and cell phones? Maybe. Forgetting to say 'thank you'? No way. Our mealtime etiquette guide takes the guesswork out of group dining
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEDetox Your Kitchen for the Healthiest Cooking
Maybe you buy organic or even grow your own. But if your kitchen is toxic, you're only halfway to healthy
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEGet It Done: How to Clean Out the Pantry
Crumbs, dust bunnies and old cocoa, beware — your pantry time is up
Full Story
mustangs81