SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Chicken stock/soup different recipes/processing times?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Ball Complete has recipe for chicken stock using 4 lbs of chicken pieces - I have a carcass with a lot of meat left from 7.5 lb chicken. NCHFP stock recipe uses carcass and isn't fussy about weight and water measurement, does say most meat should be removed first. But I usually make my soup with onions and carrots, celery seed (instead of celery), bay leaves and garlic powder - very similar to Ball Complete stock recipe, but they strain those out and then add fresh veggies back into that stock in the soup recipe.

Ball Chicken Soup processing time (with 16C stock to 4C veggies and 3C meat) is 90 min for quarts vs 75 min for NCHFP "Meat and Vegetable Soup" guidelines for half solids. Those guidelines don't specify how much meat to veggies so I guess it doesn't matter since they're all low-acid, just says cook meat until tender (my meat will be REALLY cooked, not sure how tender), doesn't say how long to cook veggies before combining all and boiling 5 minutes.

NCHFP soup guidelines say to cover the solids with "meat broth" - I assume that's the liquid used to cook the meat in 1st step, not pre-made broth/stock? But is it OK if the broth was made with veggies in the pot (NCHFP stock recipe doesn't use veggies or herbs)? Does it affect the acidity, is that why Ball recipe for soup with veggies using stock made with veggies (strained out) calls for longer processing time?

I thought this would be easy, instead of eating soup 3 days in a row or freezing the leftovers, but I'm wondering how critical the measurements (or presence), timing of vegetable additions are? Might not be worth canning 4 quarts?

Comments (17)