SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Homemade Rolled Turkey Roast

colleenoz
11 years ago

When I saw Annie's original post regarding the boned out turkey roast she made (which I can't find now), I thought I'd try one for DH's family Christmas dinner, which will be a collaborative effort on the part of all us DIL's :-). As it will likely be very hot, and the home where we will be eating has the kitchen as part of the main living area and no airconditioning, we would like to avoid using the oven if possible. DH's parents and uncle are in their 80s and don't handle heat well any more, and SIL is recovering from surgery and chemo and is also frailer than she would like. So my plan is to cook the turkey on a covered BBQ outside if it's any good.
I got a 14lb turkey, defrosted it and boned it out. The boning was a quick and dirty job which I think could have been neater if I had had more time to spend on it, as it was I took about 15 minutes. I placed the cut off wings and the carcass in a separate roasting pan to brown for stock.
The stuffing was MIL's sausagemeat stuffing recipe, with a small twist, she uses white raisins and I used craisins. I rolled it up and tied it with string. I might enquire from our local butcher if I can get some of that net stuff they use to make this easier for the Christmas roast.
Popped it in the BBQ with the carcass and a tray of veges and let it cook. Took about 2 3/4 hours before the alarm on the meat thermometer went off.
The turkey itself was fairly moist but a little bland- I will brine the next one. The skin was quite tough so I will do a combo of covering and basting to see if this helps, otherwise I'll just remove it before serving. Otherwise it really was yummy and I am happy with the experiment (just as well, the two of us will be eating this for a while :-) ).
For gravy the pan the turkey roll was in was too burned to use the fond (it was thinner than the other) so I removed the bones from the other pan and used the fond from there. I made some quick and dirty stock by pouring about two cups of warm water through the roasted bones twice, and the gravy was good. Then the bones went on to simmer for real stock.
Thanks for the good idea Annie!

Comments (5)