SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

New & Different Roast Turkey Ideas

blueiris24
16 years ago

I know many of you have traditions when it comes to how you make your turkey, but every year I like to try something different. I've brined and not brined, etc etc -- I was wondering whether any of you had new recipes you were thinking about trying this year? I saw one that called for brining and glazing in apple cider, which I have not done before, I'm thinking about that one. There is also an orange marmalade glaze I'm considering, but I generally stay away from sweet-sounding recipes - maybe this is the year for a change. What new recipes will you be trying this year?

Comments (34)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I will be at my son's....and he will have new appliances...stove with 2 ovens, micro convection and a new refrigerator and the old one will move to the basement....so there will be room to cook all sorts of stuff and to store large platters of fruit salad etc...
    There will be a fried turkey and an oven roasted turkey, stuffing both in and out of the bird, scalloped oysters....and the rest is up for grabs.
    I would vote to stuff herbed butter beneath the skin of the breast and thighs, but know I will be outvoted!
    Linda C

• blizlady
    16 years ago

I made Tyler Florence's Maple Roasted Turkey last year for the first time, and it is so scrumptious! I plan to do it again this Thanksgiving. I always brine my turkeys overnight and make a cornbread stuffing, but I didn't use this recipe for stuffing. I have one that uses corn bread and Jimmy Dean's sausage. Use real maple syrup for the glaze - no substitutes.

Maple-Roasted Turkey with Sage, Smoked Bacon, and Cornbread Stuffing
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 bunch fresh sage, leaves finely chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    1 loaf cornbread, cubed (about 6 cups)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    3 cups chicken stock
    1 (12 to 14 pound) fresh turkey
    1 cup pure maple syrup
    1/4 cup hot water
    8 strips smoked bacon
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 lemon, juiced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and remove the top rack.

Combine the butter and sage in a mixing bowl, mash with a fork or spoon until the sage is well incorporated and the butter has flecks of green in it; season with salt and pepper.

In a saute pan, melt 4 tablespoons of the sage butter, add the onions, cook and stir for 15 minutes until soft and golden. Remove from heat. Put the cornbread in a large mixing bowl and scrape the sauteed onion mixture on top. Add the egg, heavy cream, and just enough chicken stock to moisten the stuffing without making it soggy (about 1/2 cup.) Toss well to combine, season with salt and pepper.

Remove the neck and gizzards from the inside of the turkey and discard. Rinse the bird thoroughly inside and out with cold water, pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity and skin liberally with salt and pepper. Using your fingers, gently lift the skin from the breast and legs, and slip pieces of the sage butter underneath; massaging it in as you go. Fill the bird with the cornbread stuffing without packing too tightly; cook the remaining stuffing separately in a buttered baking dish. Truss the turkey; place it on a rack in a large roasting pan, and put into the oven.

Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the maple syrup and hot water to thin the glaze out a bit; use this to baste the turkey every 30 minutes. The turkey should take about 3 hours to cook (i.e. 15 to 20 minutes per pound.) If the legs or breast brown too quickly, cover with foil.

About 2 hours into cooking, shingle the strips of bacon oven the turkey breast to cover; continue to roast and baste for another hour or so. The turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F (the thigh juices will also run clear when pricked with a knife.) Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes before carving, so the juices can settle back into the meat.

Skim off the excess fat from the pan drippings with a spoon and place the roasting pan over 2 burners set on medium-high heat. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up brown bits stuck to bottom of pan. Whisk the flour into the drippings, stirring as it thickens to prevent lumps. Add the remaining chicken stock and bring to a simmer; season with salt and pepper and hit it with a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavor. Simmer for 5 minutes and then strain to remove any particles. Serve the gravy with the maple-roasted turkey and cornbread stuffing.

• Related Discussions

NEW: Make New Friends: Extreme Makeover *Turkey Edition*

Q

Comments (150)
    Fishy, I am giggling at the magnetic locks, those must be pretty funny to watch adults try to get into! April! I am so sorry, I didn't congratulate you on your new walking baby! Congratulations! That is great news! Well, except for you needing her to sit still right now, lol! Letha, Mmmmmm, cookie dough body butter, sounds really yummy. Careful now, those little men may try to take a bite out of you! No big plans for me this weekend. My girlfriend might be coming over to visit tomorrow night. Both of us are so busy anymore it is hard to find time to get together like we used to. Might take the kids to see B Movie on Sunday. Medo, I have been wanting to have a greenhouse ever since I saw Ed's cousin's. He built one for his wife. He's an electrician and installed the mechanical windows that are hooked up to the thermostat. Installed a sprinkler system and tons of racks. It attaches to their family room by sliding glass doors and she can just step right in from the house. Her garden is amazing! She has the most gorgeous yard. They have giant pampas grass, elephant ears, a pond, arbors, gorgeous perennials. Absolutely beautiful. She is able to start her plants so early in the greenhouse and they are so big and healthy come spring. Lucky duck!
    ...See More

Best turkey I've ever had...a new secret weapon

Q

Comments (27)
    There ARE definitely a few things to think about when it comes to safety. However, if you think about it, most of it is just plain common sense and it is truly not that difficult at all! Unfortunately, though, some folks have not been thinking and have made some really stupid mistakes when they've attempted this and have now given the whole thing sort of a bad rap. Our family has done it many, many times and it is very, very easy and safe as long as you follow the directions on your fryer and you think a little bit about what you are doing! Here are a few tips: * Absolutely, positively, DO NOT fry a turkey inside or even close to your home - like on a deck/patio or in the garage. We always fry ours in the driveway. * Make sure the turkey is COMPLETELY thawed and patted dry before putting it into the fryer! This is the biggest mistake people make! Putting a partially frozen/wet turkey in oil that is 350 degrees can cause a fire or even an explosion. * Do not overfill the fryer. This can cause significant burns. * NEVER leave a frying turkey unattended. Even after you are finished frying, the oil remains hot a very long time. Be very careful with kids and pets around it. * EVERYONE should have an All-Purpose fire extinguisher for their kitchen! This will come in handy when you are frying a turkey. As most of you probably know, absolutely NEVER, EVER put water on a grease fire! It only causes the fire to spread faster. If the fire is manageable, you may try to use fire extinguisher. If not, call 911! * Make sure no one who will be at the dinner, and especially eating the turkey, is allergic to peanuts! Here is a link that might be useful: Safely Deep Frying A Turkey
    ...See More

Basting - Daylily's recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    Blueiris, I am so glad that your family liked the turkey. I found that recipe in a copy of Southern Living , over ten years ago. My youngest son for years would not eat white meat because he said it was dried out. So I fixed a turkey with that recipe and he tried a piece of white meat and said it was very moist. So I have fixing it every year since then. I imagine it would work for a roast chicken also but cooked for less time than a turkey.
    ...See More

Have you cooked a turkey on convection roast?

Q

Comments (42)
    Shoot- just wrote a long comment/question and it seems to have lost it. I just read this whole thread. I have cooked loads of turkeys but this will be first on convection. I have an almost 21# bird in the freezer (moving to frig tomorrow -Sunday). I usually brine but wanted to use less this year to be able to use the broth/drippings. I usually start breast-side down. I just read Pioneer Woman's article on trussing, so I am planning on doing that. I don't stuff but am open to the idea of putting butter and/or stuffing under the skin. (If it was going to be stuffed under the skin right before roasting, wouldn't it be okay to use my own stuffing recipe with eggs?) I have a digital probe thermometer that will beep when the set temp is reached. Question- How much salt is enough in brine solution and yet not too much to make the broth overly salty? I like MOIST flavorful turkey- I love gravy. I cannot stand the chokingly dry white meat my in-laws served years ago. ugh. That's what I really want to avoid.
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    16 years ago

Purist here.

I do the herbs and butter under the skin, stuffing in the bird, canned jelly cranberry sauce and that green bean casserole. The other stuff may vary, but those are must haves without tweaking or varying.

I hope you get lots of great ideas, even I may be inspired to try something new.....

Alexa

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

This is the one recipe I use. My son who doesn't like the white meat, says this recipe keeps the white meat so moist that he will eat it.

Orange Glazed Roasted Turkey

Cheesecloth
    1 1/2 cups orange juice
    1 (12 lb) turkey
    Salt and pepper
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 1/2cups chicken or turkey broth
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup orange marmalade
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons grated orange rind(zest)
    1 tablespoon coarse grained mustard

Pan Gravy

Cut a 36" length of cheesecloth; unfold to a single layer(measuring 36 square). Fold cheesecloth in half

crosswise; fold in half lengthwise to form a 18" square. Pour orange juice into a small bowl; submerge

cheesecloth square in orange juice and let soak 5 minutes.

Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for making homemade broth if desired. Rinse turkey with cold

water; pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper. Place turkey , breast side up in a grased pan. Tie legs

together with heavy string or tuck them under flap of skin; wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around ends

of legs. Lift wingtips up and over back and tuck under bird. Brush turkey with oil; add broth to pan.

Lift cheesecloth out of orange juice and squeeze lightly, leaving it very damp; reserving orange juice in bowl.

Add butter and next 4 ingredients to orange juice; stir well. Brush turkey lightly with orange glaze mixture.

Unfold cheesecloth to 18" square. Spread cheesecloth over most of turkey covering legs and wings. Brush

cheesecloth and exposed parts of turkey with orange glaze mixture; pour remaing glaze over covered breast

of the turkey.

Insert a meat thermometer into meaty portion of thigh, making sure it does not touch bone. Bake at 325

degrees on bottom rackuntil thermometer registers 170 degrees(2 1/2 hours to 3 hours), basting cheesecloth

and exposed parts of turkey with pan juices every 30 minutes (Cheesecloth will become very brown as turkey

roasts).

Carefully remove cheesecloth and discard cheesecloth. Cut string holding legs together; remove aluminum

foil from legs. Bake turkey at 325 degrees for 30 additional minutes or until thermometer registers 180

degrees, basting heavily with pan drippings every 10 minutes. (Turkey skin can over brown easily, so watch

carefully.)

When turkey is done , let stand in pan 15 minutes, then carefully transfer to a serving platter. Brush again

with pan dripppings, reserving remaing pan juices for Pan Gravy. Cover turkey with foil while preparing

gravy. Serve turkey with Pan gravy.

Pan Gravy
    Place remaing pan juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Make a slurry of vegetable oil and flour

and stir into pan juices. Cook, stirring until thickened and smooth.

Giblet gravy
    Cook giblets, ( I use just neck and gizzard) until done in a small saucepan with water. Can cut up one stalk

of celery and one onion to flavor broth. Once cooked, chop the meat from the gizzard and neck into small

pieces and and reserve. Strain broth into a small bowl and reserve. Take a small amount of flour,mix with a

small amount of melted butter and cook until blonde in color then pour reserved broth into flour mixture and

cook until thickened and smooth.

Note: If you are using a larger or smaller turkey, adjust the the roasting times accordingly and remove the

cheesecloth for the last 30 minutes of roasting. The turkey browns quickly after removing cheesecloth, so

baste often at this point.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

I was feeling under the weather with the flu one Christmas and as there were just the two of us for Christmas dinner I made a change
    and instead of buying a whole turkey, I bought a whole breast, which I roasted with an orange, onion, jam and thyme glaze.

The results came out so tender and juicy that even I was surprised. I made a quick dressing which I cooked alongside in a separate dish and made a gravy from deglazing the pan with the vegetable water and a little help from a teaspoon each of Bisto gravy granules, Knorr dry onion soup, cornstarch and an Avecrem chicken stock cube. Served with brussels sprouts, peas, carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.

So this is what I did:

Ingredients:

2 TBS sugarless apricot jam
    1 heaping TBS dried thyme + a little more for sprinkling on top
    1 teasp garlic powder
    fresh ground black pepper
    2 TBS runny honey
    2 TBS butter

1 orange
    1 onion cut into 8ths

Turkey breast weighing 1.360 kg (slightly under 3 lbs)

1. Preheat oven to 350F (I used 325F in my fan oven)

2. In small bowl, mix the jam, thyme and garlic powder to a paste. Spread all over the turkey breast.

3. Cut orange in half and squeeze some of the juice over the turkey, then cut orange into slices and arrange under and on top along with the slices of onion.

4. Cut butter into pieces and dot all over and under breast, then drizzle honey over all.

5. Grind black pepper over top and sprinkle on a little more dried thyme.

6. Cover with foil and roast 1 hour, then remove foil, baste once with juices and butter in pan and roast for another half hour (without foil) or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast reads 170F.

7. Serve with turkey dressing, cranberry sauce and gravy.

This year we'll be having company so I'll be doing a whole bird and not just the breast.
    However, I may just use the same seasoning and jam glaze.

SharonCb

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

You know, I was craving turkey the other week and decided that I wanted to roast one. Yeah, I know, Thanksgivings not for another 3 weeks...

Anywho, the problem was, I didn't feel like going through all the brining mess, so I resorted to a little Old School Roasting. I used an oven roaster bag!

With a little experimentation, I may not go back to brining after all. The bird turned out perfect!

Go check out the last post on my blog...

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Talk

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your ideas - for those of you who have done fruit-glazed turkeys, did you think the result was sweet-tasting, or did it just make it moist?

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

With the recipe I use posted above, the meat is moist but not sweet flavored. The sweetness gets trapped into the cheesecloth and caramelize to the point where the cheese cloth will make you think it is burnt but it isn't.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

SharonCB, Could you please share your recipe for that incredible looking dressing? I already printed your turkey breast recipe. Thank you!!

Trudy

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

I usually roast a large turkey breast and will again this year. Is it possible for me to tent the turkey as it roasts to eliminate splatter? This would also allow me to put other dishes in the oven--I really need that flexibility!

Thanks!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I have used Martha Stewarts Butter and Wine Cheesecloth method, explained in this link. It was very tasty. The whole turkey recipe sounds good though.
    This year..hubbie's decided to deep fry turkeys but wants to inject them with something like the wine and butter.

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

This recipe makes the best turkey I've ever had. Even my dad, who doesn't like turkey, loved this.

HERB-ROASTED TURKEY WITH SHALLOT PAN GRAVY
    (from Bon Appetit)

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley plus 3 whole sprigs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage plus 3 whole sprigs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme plus 3 whole sprigs
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 15- to 16-pound turkey, rinsed, patted dry
    1 1/2 pounds shallots, peeled, halved lengthwise through root end

3 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour

Mix butter, chopped parsley, chopped sage, chopped thyme, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl to blend. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Transfer herb butter to small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Bring butter to room temperature before using.)

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350F. Sprinkle main cavity of turkey with salt and pepper. Place whole parsley, sage and thyme sprigs and 4 shallot halves in cavity. Starting at neck end, carefully slide hand between skin and breast
    meat to loosen skin. Spread 3 tablespoons herb butter over breast meat under skin. Tuck wing tips under; tie legs together to hold shape.

Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Rub 4 tablespoons herb butter over turkey. Cover only breast area of turkey with sheet of heavy-duty foil. Scatter remaining shallots in pan around turkey.

Roast turkey 30 minutes; baste with 1/2 cup broth. Continue roasting turkey for 1 1/2 hours, basting with 1/2 cup broth every 30 minutes.

Remove foil from over turkey breast. Continue to roast turkey until golden brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F, basting with pan juices every 20 minutes., about 1 hour longer.

Transfer turkey to platter. Brush with 1 tablespoon herb butter. Tent loosely with foil; let stand 20 minutes.

Using slotted spoon, transfer shallots from roasting pan to plate. Pour pan juices into medium bowl; spoon off fat and discard. Add wine and 1 cup chicken broth to roasting pan. Set pan directly over 2 burners and bring broth mixture to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Continue to boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes; pour into large glass measuring cup. Add
    degreased pan juices. Add enough broth if necessary to equal 3 cups liquid.

Blend flour into remaining herb butter. Pour broth mixture into heavy medium saucepan and bring to boil. Gradually whisk in herb butter mixture. Add any accumulated juices from turkey platter. Boil until gravy thickens enough to coat spoon lightly, whisking occasionally. Add shallots to gravy; simmer 1 minute. Season gravy with salt and pepper. Serve turkey with
    gravy.

My notes:

1. I use Dry Vermouth instead of white wine in recipes - much cheaper, tastes the same and holds well in the pantry.

2. After removing the shallots from the roasting pan, I put them on a cookie sheet and roasted in the oven until they were almost burned - I think it gives a nicer flavor to the gravy. I also did not put them back in the gravy whole....I pureed them with some of the chicken stock before thickening with the flour/herb butter mix at the end.

3. I pulled the bird out when it was at 165.(*see note below) That is a safe temperature, and the bird will continue to cook as it rests. Waiting until it gets to 180 is too much and can cause a dry bird.

4. Be sure and use fresh herbs!

I made this once with a whole chicken, and once with a turkey breast. Both were excellent. No need to adjust anything - the gravy is so good that you'll want to drink it ;)

*From the USDA website: A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook turkey to higher temperatures.

• san_
    16 years ago

i really hope to some day eat some deep-fried turkey! i have a feeling that would suit us really well! but we'll continue to fix our turkey stuffed with a sausage and rice stuffing, in a roasting bag and absolutely enjoy it! and even though we are getting close to the thanksgiving holiday, i got a craving for turkey and roasted a couple of turkey thighs just the other night--good stuff.

and yep, i agree--sharon's plate really does look wonderful, doesn't it?

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Trudy...

I'll get back tomorrow to this thread and post the recipe for my turkey dressing.

Just have to get to bed now as it's very late here! LOL.

SharonCb

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Darn it I didn't get the recipe posted..Figures!

Basic Recipe

• sands99
    16 years ago

Brining convert here as well, I love the subtle flavors it can impart and the juiciness but I'm a purist too. The turkey is the cornerstone of the TG dinner, everyone should be able to like the turkey - ala if you wanna get your funky hat on it should be with the side dishes. IMHO.

• cream_please
    16 years ago

Pardon me for getting slightly OT, but what is/are 'scalloped oysters'? Would you share a recipe?
    Tx.
    CP

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I think it may originally have been Southern in its origins, but this is the recipe I got from a friend in Maine who I consider a great old Yankee cook. I often saute a bit of onion and celery in butter and put some between the oysters but I'm not sure if that is traditional or just something I like added. Sometimes I also add a bit of chopped fresh parsley on top.

Alexa

Scalloped Oysters

6 to 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces
    1 quart oysters, shucked, liquor drained
    2 cups common cracker crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup whipping cream

Method:

Lightly butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Set aside 1/3 cup of cracker crumbs and 1 tablespoons of butter for topping. Cover the bottom of the dish with some of the cracker crumbs then top with a layer of oysters, a layer of crumbs, and some of the butter pieces. Repeat layers until all oysters are used. Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour the cream over the dish then top with reserved crumbs and butter. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until heated and browned. Serve immediately.

• User
    16 years ago

Gardengrl

Thanks for the roasting bag tip, love your blog.

I have never brined a turkey ... I usually stuff fresh herbs in the cavity, rub the bird with olive oil and pop it in the oven.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Trudy - Here's the recipe for the dressing I've been making for years:

1 small loaf stale firm bakery bread (white or brown)
    3 - 4 stalks celery- including some green fronds - finely chopped
    1 medium onion - finely chopped
    2 - 3 lg cloves garlic - minced
    3/4 medium-sized leek, white and some green tops - finely chopped
    handful

- chopped
    2 cups fresh mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
    2 cups chicken broth (or 2 C water & 2 chicken stock cubes)
    1 TBS dry rubbed sage
    1 TBS dry thyme
    1 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp fresh ground black pepper
    1 teasp poultry seasoning eg McCormick's (optional)
    butter & oil
    optional - 2 small fine-textured English breakfast sausages, meat squeezed out of casing

Utensils needed:

large mixing bowl, frying pan, mortar & pestle (optional)

1. Tear the loaf of bread into small pieces (around 1/2 inch) into the mixing bowl.
    I usually include the crust, unless the full loaf is more bread than I need.

2. Put equal parts oil and butter in the frying pan and gently saute the chopped vegetables to soften a little - about 5 minutes:
    - celery, onion, leek, garlic, parsley. Note: if using optional sausage mixture, add it here as well.

3. Add these to the bread crumbs in the mixing bowl. Add a little more butter to the pan and
    put in the sliced mushrooms. Cook gently for a couple of minutes to soften then add them
    to the mixing bowl.

4. Put the dried sage & thyme in the mortar with the salt & pepper and optional poultry dressing spice.
    Grind all together to release the aromas of the mixture, then add it to the mixing bowl, stirring it in.

5. Prepare chicken broth - either fresh or using hot water & stock cubes or powder.

6. Add the stock to the mixing bowl a little at a time, mixing well with fork, stopping when half the
    liquid has been added. Check that the mixture is not becoming too wet. Add the rest of the
    liquid in very small amounts and keep stirring and checking that it is moist but not wet.
    A wet dressing becomes even wetter when it's stuffed inside the turkey so don't overdo the liquid.
    You may not need it all.

7. Let dressing rest and cool a few minutes then either stuff the turkey, neck and bottom cavities or cook the dressing
    separately on a foil covered baking pan in the oven, opening the foil a little to allow the top to crispen if desired.
    I cooked my dressing in the oven at the same time as I did the turkey breast, about 1 hour at 325F.
    You may need a shorter time - just check it after 40 minutes.

Note: The time I made this and took the above photo I had been in bed with the flu.
    I didn't get out to buy fresh mushrooms so used a tin of very small whole baby mushrooms.
    I always prefer to use fresh.

SharonCb

• mimsic
    16 years ago

SharonCb: that sounds very similar to my stuffing recipe, handed down through my mother from my father who always made the turkey in my house when I was growing up. My mother wrote me a letter with "Daddy's stuffing" instructions when I was first married and it has become a ritual in my kitchen to read that letter aloud to my family every year the night before Thanksgiving as we gather around the kitchen and begin preparing for the feast. My father died very young a few years before I met my husband so it is a very important document, that letter.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

SharonCb, thank you for taking the time to share your dressing recipe. It will be what I am making this Thanksgiving. It sounds just wonderful!

Trudy

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Mimsic I was touched by your story. I understand very well how some family recipes have so many good memories attached to them. I have several from my dear Aunt Dulcie, one of which I have posted as "Aunty Doe's Shortbread" which is a real winner, passed down to her by a Scottish lady at her church when she was a young woman. It has also been a favourite in my family.

Trudy I hope you like the dressing and it turns out well for you!

SharonCb

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm going to try your dressing recipe as well - to me that is the best part of Thanksgiving dinner. :) I'm not looking to do some weird thing with the turkey sands :), I just like to try different recipes each year - there are so many great ones out there. I promise to behave myself and serve my guests a delicious turkey, whichever route I take!;)

• User
    16 years ago

I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to seasoning roast turkey or chicken. Up until last year I brined. But switched to presalting using the presalting method of Judy Rogers (Zuni Cafe). I presalt almost all the meats I roast now. It makes for the most succulent, moist turkey, chicken, pork, etc....

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Pre-Salting
    ===========
    Judy Rogers' Zuni Cafe
    method

Servings: 11 to 15

Note: This is more a technique than a recipe. It makes a bird that has concentrated turkey flavor and fine, firm flesh and that is delicious as it is. But you can add other flavors as you wish. Minced rosemary would be a nice finishing addition. Or brush the bird lightly with butter before roasting.

ADVERTISEMENT

1 (12- to 16-pound) turkey

Kosher salt

1. Wash the turkey inside and out, pat it dry and weigh it. Measure 1 tablespoon of salt into a bowl for every 5 pounds the turkey weighs (for a 15-pound turkey, you'd have 3 tablespoons).

2. Sprinkle the inside of the turkey lightly with salt. Place the turkey on its back and salt the breasts, concentrating the salt in the center, where the meat is thickest. You'll probably use a little more than a tablespoon. It should look liberally seasoned, but not over-salted.

3. Turn the turkey on one side and sprinkle the entire side with salt, concentrating on the thigh. You should use a little less than a tablespoon. Flip the turkey over and do the same with the opposite side.

4. Place the turkey in a 2 1/2 -gallon sealable plastic bag, press out the air and seal tightly. Place the turkey breast-side up in the refrigerator. Chill for 3 days, turning it onto its breast for the last day.

5. Remove the turkey from the bag. There should be no salt visible on the surface and the skin should be moist but not wet. Place the turkey breast-side up on a plate and refrigerate uncovered for at least 8 hours.

6. On the day it is to be cooked, remove the turkey from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

7. Place the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack in a roasting pan; put it in the oven. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn the turkey over so the breast is facing up (it's easiest to do this by hand, using kitchen towels or oven mitts).

8. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees, return the turkey to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in the deepest part of the thigh, but not touching the bone, reads 165 degrees, about 2 3/4 hours total roasting.

9. Remove the turkey from the oven, transfer it to a warm platter or carving board; tent loosely with foil. Let stand at least 30 minutes to let the juices redistribute through the meat. Carve and serve.

Each of 15 servings: 564 calories; 77 grams protein; 0 carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 26 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 261 mg. cholesterol; 856 mg. sodium.
    . Notes:

This same method can be used for chicken, chicken pieces, pork roasts,
    ribs, chops, etc..

With the smaller cuts just pre-salt 4 or five hours in advance. Even
    this short period of presalting makes an amazing difference.

Don't cover, just refrigerate and then remove from the fridge in time
    for the meat to come to room temperature before cooking.

• sands99
    16 years ago

I getcha Blue, it's my own 'safety measure' so I don't end up making chicken nuggets in the middle of TG dinner! With 2 younger children I have to keep one or two things classic. All the more pecan crusted sweet potatoes for me! ;-)

Sharon our family stuffing is very much like the one you posted too! Stuffing is definitely one of my favorite things on the TG table.

• mimsic
    16 years ago

As for brining the turkey, you can save a lot of time by buying a fresh kosher bird. Its already brined and ready to cook. All kosher meats are "soaked and salted". This process used to be done by the housewife in her own kitchen, but most kosher meat is "koshered" at the butcher shop now-a-days. It is done because of the prohibition against eating blood. Here is my less than authoritative description of the process:

The meat was coated with salt, left standing at an angle over the sink, on a board used just for that purpose. I think the meat or poultry was left that way for 30 minutes then 'soaked' or more accurately, rinsed of the salt. I think the process may have been repeated at least one more time. It was messy, smelly and time and space consuming. I'd venture to guess most kosher cooks don't miss this chore.

• cream_please
    16 years ago

Thanks, Caliloo.
    I copied that off.
    Does 'common' crackers mean saltines?
    Cream

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to try Daylily's recipe, but I just read (on Thanksgiving morning) that it says to baste every 30 minutes - I generally don't baste until the last hour - anyone have any insight on that?

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

My turkey is in the oven. I'm trying a new recipe this year for the turkey. On Tuesday I reduced apple cider and maple syrup, added the herbs and butter and put it in the refrigerator to solidify until today. Some of this mixture went under the skin of the breast, the rest is for basting and gravy... I'll report back.

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Nancy, that sounds good.
    I did a white wine infusion for injecting the big bird.
    Chardonnay, little organic chicken broth, whole egyptian garlic(dunno came from TJ's looks like a giant round garlic without the cloves) little sprinkle of Penzey's Toasted Onion, Northwoods Fire...

FINALLY hubby is taking the turkey out to the oil.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

It turned out really good and we loved it.

{{gwi:2083827}}

ROAST TURKEY WITH MAPLE HERB BUTTER AND GRAVY

Serves 12.

Maple Butter Turkey

2 cups apple cider
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 2 teaspoons dried
    1 teaspoon
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
    1 14-pound turkey, neck and giblets reserved

For gravy
    3 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
    1 small bay leaf
    2 tablespoons apple brandy (optional)

Make turkey:
    Boil apple cider and maple syrup in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduces to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in half of chopped thyme, half of marjoram and 1 teaspoon dried sage. Add butter and whisk until melted. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
    Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 375°F.

Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen shin. Rub 1/2 cup maple butter over breast under skin.
    If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into main cavity. Rub 1/4 cup maple butter over outside of turkey. Reserve remaining maple butter for gravy. Tie legs together loosely to hold shape of turkey.
    Roast turkey 30 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Cover entire turkey loosely with heavy-duty foil and roast until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F or until juices rum clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with skewer, basting occasionally with pan juices, about 2 hours 25 minutes for unstuffed turkey (2 hours 55 minutes for stuffed turkey). Transfer turkey to platter. Tent turkey with aluminum foil and let stand 30 minutes; reserve mixture in pan for gravy.

Make gravy:

Stain pan juices into large measuring cup, pressing on solids with back of spoon.
    Spoon fat from pan juices. Add enough chicken broth to pan juices to measure 3 cups. Transfer liquid to heavy medium saucepan and bring to boil. Mix 3 tablespoons reserved maple butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste. Whisk paste into broth mixture. Add chopped fresh thyme and bay leaf. Boil until reduces to sauce consistency, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in apple brandy, if desired. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper.
    Brush turkey with any remaining maple butter and serve with gravy.

NOTE: I did not make the gravy as in the recipe above. I made my usual gravy. After removing the turkey from the roasting pan, I set it on the stove, covering two burners. To the turkey juices in the pan I added hot potato water and turkey stock. Thicken with a mixture of flour and water.

Nancy

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Oh my....such wonderful recipes and ideas here. I did not open this thread as turkey is Joe's territory and I don't want to over step my boundaries and take over his job!

But WOW, some of the recipes sound too good to pass up.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Nancy, that looks and sounds good..I think I might try that on chickens! I have two in the freezer..

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County