SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Losing sleep with my 15-year-old dog

alisande
16 years ago

Angel, my Briard mix, is 15. She's been with us ever since she was a puppy, when Jill found her hit (stunned but not injured) on the street. At this stage in her life she's profoundly deaf and has what the vet calls "doggy Alzheimer's," but her quality of life is good. She loves her food, loves attention, loves walks, etc. It's wonderful to see her doing so well at this advanced age. It's my quality of life that's suffering a bit these days.

Angel has a bed in the hallway outside my room. She starts barking in the middle of almost every night. These barks can mean any of the following:

1. I just pooped and need you to come clean it up.

2. I have to go out NOW.

3. I woke up confused and I need you to pet me so I know I'm not alone.

So I get up and check to see if she's pooped. If not, I try the petting first. Sometimes (rarely) she goes back to sleep, and that's that. Usually she starts barking again after a few minutes, and then I know I have stagger downstairs and take her outside. After that, of course, Wolfy figures it's his turn to go out.

Sometimes I can get right back to sleep afterward but more often it takes me a long time. At least once a week I have trouble getting to sleep at bedtime, so if I finally fall asleep at 2:00 a.m., for example, and then get awakened by Angel at 4:00, it can be an especially rough night.

This is beginning to take its toll. My thinking processes are getting blurry, and the other day I crossed a reporting asignment off my calendar, thinking it was another event that had been cancelled. My editor was not happy. And I'm uncharacteristically irritable. When I find myself telling inanimate objects to shut up and leave me alone, I know I'm stressed out. LOL

I can't figure out what to do about this, if anything. Leaving her downstairs at night won't solve the problem because she'll bark anyway, or (worse) pee on the floor. I've gotten used to cleaning up solids; puddles have a lot more damage potential.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Susan

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH