SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

How do I make my dog sleep through the night?

Fori
6 years ago

My dog used to wake up occasionally to bark at things at night but in the past few weeks, he's gotten really bad and has at least one episode a night. He'll be happily snoring away and wake to sound the alarm bark at a passing car or other city noises.

Any idea why he might have become so sensitive to sounds? He's around 7 years old and has personally chosen his sleeping place (an interior hallway where he can see everyone's bedroom door). He has a comfy bed there as well as his "daytime" bed which is in the family room. He's in good health as far as we and his vet can tell. He is sleepy at bedtime.

Any ideas on what we can do or what might be triggering this behavior? He's not an extremely barky dog--just alarm barks (doorbell, deliveries, etc.--annoying but tolerable) and wild animal barks (especially squirrels).

But this--starting up from a deep sleep to bark at all sounds--is new. I don't think he would be happy locked up in the laundry room and I don't want to drug him. White noise machine?

Thanks!

Comments (12)