SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizzo13

Editing Assistance, please: roasted vegetable salad?

Bizzo
13 years ago

For Thanksgiving I plan to roast some veggies and would love your opinions/comments.

I was at a local organic farm yesterday (White Gate Farm in East Lyme for any of my neighbors) and bought my veg. I'm considering roasting them the day before and serving cold with some sort of dressing.

I'd like help determining if I need to edit out the veg I have or if can/should use them all. I'd also like your suggestions on what to dress them with if anything.

Here's what I have:

2 rutabaga (abt 1#)

4 ancho peppers. Two green, two red

3 fennel bulbs

4 or 5 leek stalks

some red onions

about 1# carrots

1# small blue potatoes

Other T-day veg dishes are peas and onions my aunt was requested to bring, the haricots verts my mom suggested (the green beans are a Cooking Light recipe that calls for orange juice and almond slices), a sweet potato souffle that is my sister-in-law's tradition and the required mashed potatoes and gravy.

Should I skip the green beans? or roast them along with the others? Should I hold out the leek for soup? how about the fennel? I've never cooked with fennel, will this much overpower, or give the dish nice character?

I will probably only use one or two of the peppers, even though the one I tasted at the farm was very mild, almost bell-pepper sweet. Should I add garlic? Any spice other than S&P when roasting?

To dress I thought drizzle good aged balsalmic? or lightly toss in a vinaigrette? italian dressing? something dijon? I can choose to roast them on the gas grill outside on Thanksgiving and serve them hot, but the cook ahead plan is as much about workload as it is about oven space, and the cold dish adds some variety to the menu.

What sounds good to you?

Comments (8)