SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

After Halloween - Candy Apple help needed.....

dancinglemons
13 years ago

Hello all,

I made candy apples for a Halloween gala BUT not successfully. I have volunteered to do them again for Thanksgiving. Help is needed.

First - no help needed for caramel apples.

Second - help needed for hard red candy type apples.

Here is what I did. The standard 2 cups sugar with 1/2 cup Corn Syrup and 1/2 cup water -- boiled until 295 - 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. After reaching temp 1/8 tsp of Wilton red food coloring paste was added with pot off stove. The sugar was never stirred while it was cooking. The sugar soltion began to crystalize within minutes and usually after only 2-3 apples had been dipped. I ended up making 4 pots of 'candy' and covering about 50 apples. A good 25 of the apples were cloudy because the sugar began to crystalize. In the end I began to just let the sugar boil slowly as I dipped the apples. The sugar had a burnt smell ((to me)) and began to look amber in color instead of red. The kiddos ate them up but when I do Thanksgiving I want the apples to be red and not cloudy or amber.

Anyone who has experience in making candy apples -OR- clear lollipops -- PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thanks,

DL

Comments (3)