SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

The other thread is about Lars, and CF get together, not about me. So I am spinning off a new thread.

Posted by sally2 "Sooooo, I guess, Dcarch, that means you're not a culinary artist, you're just someone that likes to play with his food? Sally"

When I was much younger, I lived in the East Village and Washington Square Park in NYC. The neighborhood had become a center of the Bohemians, Flower Children and counterculture and is known as the birthplace and historical home of many artistic movements. I had seen all forms of art and met many artists. There were many living in my apartment building. I had run into Andy Warhol in the area many times. I would be very wealthy today if I had taken some of Keith Haring's graffitis on subway walls.

I attended a few free lectures given by universities in the area. Lectures which had experts and artists discussing and arguing about "what is art". No one was able to settle on a definition.

It is not possible to define what is art. The discussion will basically go no place. I think it is easier to define what is not art. Craft is not art. I know many people may disagree.

Other than what I have already said, I don't think there is any more to be said. For the individuals, it is probably more meaningful to veiw art based on "In the eyes of the beholder" theory.

If you think it's art, then it is art. If you think it is not, then it is not, Picasso notwithstanding.

For instance, it is interesting that in the other thread Teresa's tapestry was mentioned.

I never talked about it when I saw one of her work which was posted. As I remember, Teresa titled it "It's About Time". I thought that was the most artistic work I have seen by anyone in a long time.

That work very much recalls the whole concept of Einstein's Theory Of Relativity, as in the Book of the same title by David Mermin "It's About Time" The design of the tapestry is very similar to drawings used to illustrate the Times-pace continuum geometry, the multidimensional universe, and the fabric of our dimensions can be distorted by gravity without the occupants within the design of fabric aware of the changes.

To me that is art, that is beyond decoration, that is more than craft. To me it make no difference what you think of it, or if Teresa actually had any intentions of communicating to me with those meanings. I was the beholder.

So, Am I making art with food?

When it comes to do what I do, I never pay much attention to why or how, certainly without the intention of creating art, or being artistic. When ideas that come to me that I feel would add eating pleasure, I do it. The more I do, the easier it gets. I do that with every dish, every meal, if I am eating alone or with friends, I only post about 1 in 10 of my dishes here.

Absolutely nothing more than simple food plays. If you think my work is art, great. If you think my work is trash, as some of you have expressed more than once so authoritatively and passionately, I still thank you for viewing.

Here is a side I made for tonight's dinner. As you can see, I couldn't even leave simple cauliflower alone. :-).

Flower power: Make food, not war.

dcarch

Comments (40)