SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejmoore510_gw

Kitchen Paint Disaster - Help please

ejmoore510
14 years ago

I'm repainting our kitchen. Or at least, I was. Now at a standstill due to this problem. Our house is 14 years old. Was painted thru out with a flat cream color. Including the wall underneath my kitchen cabinets down to the countertop which only has about a 4" lip for a backsplash. The area is only 14.5 inches tall and will be approx. 185" long. Anyway, I decided I wanted a nice deep brick red back there. Would not show dirt and would really show up well against the capuccino paint on the other walls and into the dining room and my dark cabinets. I chose Valspar "Burning Bush" in the Interior Kitchen & Bath Enamel. Someone said I would need a gray primer underneath the red to go over the cream. I could not find any gray interior primer anywhere, so I bought Valspar Interior Latex High Hiding Primer in white. I washed the walls with soap and water. Then put 2 coats of primer with drying time between each. THEN CAME THE BIG MOMENT.

I painted just one coat in a test patch of the red. Oh my gosh, every sin that wall has endured over the years is highlighted!!! Every spot, splash, dribble, and drip seems to be magnified. Now I'm unsure what to do. Should I sand it all down, reprime, and try again? Is there a special cleaner that I can get? I suspect that the cream paint has absorbed a multitude of kitchen accidents over the years, all the way down to the sheetrock. Should I just give up the paint idea, and put up wallpaper behind my stove and sink around the kitchen?? I'm unable to attach pictures since I don't have the correct connector cord for my camera to my new laptop. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Hopeless Paint Job in Mississippi"

Comments (9)