SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Fall Soup Party...

doucanoe
15 years ago

and Bonfire is only 3 weeks away. Trying to narrow down my soup menu selections. I usually like to make new (to me) soup recipes. I typically make four different soups, one must be vegetarian, I like one broth based and one cream based, but that is not written in stone.

So far I am definitely making Great Lakes Salmon Chowder and Kansas City Steak Soup (both from Midwest Living Magazine). I am thinking maybe a Minestrone for the vegetarian choice.

Here are some of the others I am considering. Any opinions? Other suggestions?

Turkey Spaetzle

Tomato Florentine

Beer & Brat Cheddar Chowder

Wild Rice Cranberry

Corn Chowder

Sausage & Lentil

New England Clam Chowder

I have made the Turkey Spaetzle, New England Clam Chowder and Corn Chowders before. Only have ever had lentils once and wasn't crazy about them, but I was young and stupid. Might like them now.

Linda

Comments (39)

• wizardnm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Linda, they all sound good. I like the idea of the Sausage Lentile Soup as it seems like it would do well with the other's you are already planning and be a little different.

Have fun!!!

Nancy

• lindac
    15 years ago

I love lentil soup...but I do a ham bone base.
    And there's corn chowder and there's CORN CHOWDER.
    Wild rice cranberry sounds strange to me...
    Can tomato florentine be vegetarian?

When I am trying to think of a "soup menu" I try to think of kinds of soup....like beef veggie based...and that is a beef veggie, standard, and perhaps one with cabbage and more of an eastern European flavor.... and French onion..
    Then Chicken based, which would include Italian wedding, striachetelli, chicken noodle, chicken based wild rice, chicken with a soutwestern flair, chicken with a corn chowder feel.
    Then the creamed vegetable soups...mushroom, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrot, red pepper, peas with mint, celery and whatever else you can dream up.
    Then there are the seafood based soups, clam chowder, crab bisque, she crab soup, shrimp jambalaya, salmon chowder creamed salmon with peas
    Etc etc etc.
    I try to think of a variety of"types" and then go find or dream up recipes.
    I think I need to do that kind of party....tell me again....do you serve out of the soup pots? or everyone sit down? or how do you manage it?
    I have 35 sterling soup spoons....and am dying to show off!!
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Cream of Chicken Soup for Party

Q

Comments (4)
    I think you will miss having some celery in there. What I do is this: Cook your chicken....do not over cook. You could grill it or fry or poach it. Then in a frypan cut up an onion ( I like the stronger flavor than the leek) and 2 stalks of celery, and a clove of garlic and gently fry in 4 T butter until soft, stir in 1/4 cup flour, cook a minute and slowly stir in 2 cups of chicken broth....simmer 5 minutes and stir constantly, add 2 cups of milk, and the cut up cooked chicken and simmer a few minutes, salt and pepper to taste and a handfull of chopped parsley. My cream of chicken soup contains no cream!! Linda C
    ...See More

Planning my soup menu

Q

Comments (4)
    Great ideas, thanks! I try to do at least four soups every year, if I expect a larger than average crowd, I'll add a 5th sometimes. I also try for a creamy, a brothy, a cheesy and a vegetarian. So far I am thinking maybe the Mushroom Brie, Turkey Spaetzle, Cauliflower cheese, and maybe Karens' Lousiana Gumbo. That's not the final menu yet, I have a list of options I am trying to narrow down! Linda
    ...See More

Place your vote for the 'Soup Party' !!! FUN!

Q

Comments (67)
    Eileen, Fantastic idea for a party!!! You've inspired me to have one of my own. Plus I will actually get to enjoy the party instead of "making sure everyone else is getting what THEY need!".. I'm a big soup maker so it's hard to pare this down. I won't put them in order since it's all a tie but... Pasta E Fagioli Chicken corn chowder split pea w/ ham tortilla soup Maybe we'll all get some good soup recipes we DON'T have out of this thread. Yeah for fall weather!! Have a fantastic party. Question: Do you make any of your soups in advance and in what order, if you did, would you make them? You've got my mind thinking now :)
    ...See More

Soup exchange party. Ideas anyone?!!

Q

Comments (23)
    This is reeeeaally late but I want to thank everyone who responded to my initial post! I'd completely forgotten about it obviously, and only now discovered it (in the warm season when no one's making soup)! But it's a great thread to have that perhaps we can each keep adding to over time - though there are probably several other ones out there like it! These all sound so yummy (maybe I won't be able to wait till Fall)! And I appreciate all the storage suggestions too. I feel so bad about forgetting about this thread! I need to figure out how to get email alerts when I get a response however I'm a bit jaded about using the email I regularly use because I'm worried about viruses and spam. Anyway, I see there's a "check here if you would like post replies" box now so I'll be sure to do that now!!
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy, thanks. I may just give lentils another go.

Linda, no sterling soup spoons for this bunch, but I think you could definitely do a soup party that is a bit more elegant than the one I do.

We have been doing the annual fall bonfire for over a decade, just started the soup thing about 6 years ago. I set up a large buffet in the lower level of the house which opens to the back yard. The soups are kept warm in crockpots, so that limits our soup options just a bit. I make laminated tags for each pot telling what the soup is, and sometimes what accompaniments go well with it. I tie them onto the pots with raffia. I have some laminated paper leaves in fall colors that I set the ladles on and set out lots of paper/plastic/chinet type bowls. That way everyone can try as many of the soups as they want.

Lots of accompaniments to go along with the soups, such as breads, crackers, cheeses, vegetables, chips....

Folks can sit at the table, stand, go out by the fire, hang out on the patio....whatever they choose. It's very casual. Typically we have 30-40 people.

It's a lot of fun. People start calling me in June asking when the soup party will be this year! (It's always the weekend before Halloween...LOL)

Linda

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Linda (doucanoe):

It just may overwhelm you, but I have a collection of about 125 t&t soup recipes in one Word file. Some of them collected from this forum. You're welcome to it. Some of it is nicely formatted and readable and some of it is still in the "editing" stage.

As for your own recipes, I could't tell you what would be a good mix since I don't know the recipes and I've not tried yours. As LindaC says, "there's corn chowder and then there's CORN CHOWDER".

Also, I've eaten a lot of lentil dishes, including many lentil soups. It's a rare one that I really like. I have a Cajun Andouille and Lentil Souip recipes that is a winner, though.

Joe

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I am not a fan of soups, but I have to say almost all of your suggestions sound very good, especially the chowders. (I favor soups that have substance and are more like the consistency of stew, and chowders often fit the bill.) I have a vegan dd who loves to try new things in interesting combinations and the wild rice cranberry sounds like something she'd like.

I want to implement a 'soup and bread night' each week for the fall and winter, so am on the lookout for hearty, thick soups/chowders.

Joe, I, for one, would love a good recipe or two for lentils. I know they're good for us, and economical...and even though many recipes sound good, don't always turn out as good as I imagined...or are what my family will really like.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Posole is a rib-sticking, yummy soup for Fall:

Posole (or my version of it!)

2 pounds (give or take) meat-pork & chicken is traditional, but beef works too. Sometimes I use all three...depends what's on hand.
    Stock (I usually mix chicken and beef, at a ratio of about 3 to 1)
    2 onions-chopped
    2 celery stalks-chopped
    2 carrots-pared and chopped
    6 or 8 garlic cloves-smashed & cut fine
    hominy-one big can or two small cans, drained and rinsed.
    corn (a small bag of frozen is enough. Or, if corn is in season, cut a couple of ears into 1 to 2-inch chunks and add them that way. ItÂs messy to eat, but very tasty)
    8-10 dried, fairly mild chilis. (Guajillo, New Mexico, Pasilla, Ancho, chipotle)
    I like to use a couple of different varieties, usually mostly guajillo with 2 or 3 anchos or chipotles.
    oregano (1 Tbspn?)
    thyme (1/2 tspn?)
    cilantro (appx. one bunch, chopped)
    2 large tomatoes, seeds squeezed out and chopped (or a can, drained)
    1 cup (or so) white wine-use the cheap stuff as long as it isnÂt sweet.
    salt to taste
    Cut the meat into chunks (in the case of chicken, itÂs better to cook it on the bone, and then take the bones out after itÂs done, the bones add flavor. Brown the meat in bacon fat & drain.

Saute one of the onions in the pan drippings until limp, add ½ the garlic and saute for a minute or so. Add meat & cover with stock, simmer until tender.

Meanwhile, soak the chilis in warm water for about40 minutes or so. When theyÂre nice and soft, slit them open to discard seeds and then scrape the flesh off the skins. Discard the skins.

Saute the other onion in, yes, some bacon fat until it is browning nicely, then add the rest of the garlic and chili flesh. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add to the meat & stock. Add ½ the cilantro and all the other ingredients, except for corn. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, adding the corn & the rest of the cilantro when the other veggies are almost done-if you use corn on the cob, add it about 10 minutes before the cilantro.

Now add the salt & play with the seasonings Âtil it tastes right. If youÂre concerned about all that bacon fat, or if the pork was fatty, you can refrigerate it over night and degrease it before heating it back up. If you do that, add the corn & cilantro when youÂre reheating it.

Sorry that the stock isn't measured...it depends on too many factors...how rich the stock is, how long the soup simmers, how "stew-like" I want it, how strong the chilis and seasonings are. You just have to play it by ear (or by tongue, actually):D

Posole, being a Mexican soup, is generally served with either tortillas or tortilla chips. However, I've never noticed that it suffers for being served with a good, crusty loaf, or even a rich, dark whole grain bread. I generally serve it with garnish bowls of chopped green onions, sour cream, finely diced jalapenos (canned or roasted)and Curtido (which is sort of a very lightly pickled cabbage slaw). Unfortunately, we are in the middle of moving and my cookbooks have gone ahead of me so I can't look up the recipe. I'm sure one could be found on line.

I would also offer some good lentil recipes, but it will be a while before I can get to those books. I'll try to remember to start another thread about it.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

I forgot to say...Linda, that sounds like my kind of party. I am a fiend for soups, and it never occurred to me to make up a bunch and have people serve themselves some of this and some of that. What a wonderful idea for entertaining!

• kframe19
    15 years ago

Can't get through any soup party without a hearty split pea and ham.

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I went to a "pot luck" soup party once. I wanted to make sure that I took something different so I made wonderful cream of asparagus soup. I was the only one who ate it and I heard several remarks about that "green" soup. Since then, I make more traditional soups when I am feeding someone other than my own family. I would be afraid of the one with cranberries for the same reason. It might be a little too purple. LOL

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

It sounds like so much fun. Nothing like nice hot soup. Will be looking for what vegetarian you come up with.
    Barb

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Linda, I wish I were closer, I'd sure come for soup.

I love the Sausage and Lentil Soup I make, it's either from Cooking Light or Eating Well, and I can never remember which one, LOL. I will admit to making my own sausage, so maybe that maeks a difference, but I like lentils. I don't love them, but I like them. I also love split pea soup, but I know a lot of people who don't.

As for corn chowder, I agree. There's corn chowder and there's CORN CHOWDER. I went to a demonstration by Eric Villegas, the chef who hosts "Fork in the Road". It's a PBS series, he's won an Emmy for it and it went national 9 months ago. His focus is on local and sustainable Great Lakes and Midwestern food, so it was right up my alley. And what did he make? Corn Chowder, something I've made a couple of times in the last couple of months. His was WAY better than mine, and I know why. It's because he started with a stick of butter and ended with 3 quarts of heavy cream! Mine has olive oil and skim milk. (grin)

Annie

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I remember you talking about this party a few years ago, thought it was a great idea. I love to make soup..no recipes needed!
    All the choices sound delicious, but I have to put in my fave, L.I. Clam Chowder,,,really New England, but you have to plug where you live!
    Have a great time, it always sounds like such fun!

• clax66
    15 years ago

Autumn is the time to enjoy one of my favourite dishes: butternut squash and pear soup! You'll be able to find lots of versions online.

This soup is delicious on its own with chunks of hearty brown bread, or you can serve with slivered almonds on top or toasted crab meat.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I know ive said this on another post but i do this each fall (a soup party) I buy (but you could make) 1 pound loaf breads and serve in a eatable bowl...the gang loves it

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joe, I promise I wouldn't be overwhelmed if you were to send me your soup recipes! As I said I do this every year, so I am always looking for T&T to try!

Kframe...I am sure it's wonderful, but I have never cared for split-peas soup. I would guess some of the crowd would like it tho, so I will look into it as an option.

clax66 I made a Butternut Squash Bisque a couple years ago that was to die for! Everyone raved about that one. I think pears would be a nice flavor compliment.

Kathleen, I have New England Clam Chowder on my list and have a killer recipe I haven't made in years. Maybe that one will make the cut this year!

Eileen...Great idea, but there are not enough hours in the day to make enough bread bowls to serve 4-5 different soups to 40 hungry people! LOL Think for this party I'll have to stick with paper/plastic bowls. Like I said it is super casual!

Linda

• happygram
    15 years ago

At last!

I actually have something to contribute! (As a long time lurker, it's seldom I have recipes/comments to add because I'm not an inventive or prolific cook.)

But...last year, due to your influence, I tried a soup party, too. It was such fun to plan, cook for, and it was a great evening. The vegetarian soup I chose was one from the California Pizza Kitchen. It's called Smashed Pea and Barley soup, and it's not only vegetarian but fat free. Actually, I bought the restaurant's cook book just to get that recipe.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Joe, I'd love the Tried and True recipes word file--soup is my favorite thing to make and serve.

• caboodle
    15 years ago

Joe, may I have a copy of your soup file, please?

Thank you,

Judi McC

• abiroo
    15 years ago

Joe, if possible I would like to be included in soup file. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. abby

• compumom
    15 years ago

Joe, please include me in that email too,I'd love a copy!
    Thanks for the offer!
    Ellen

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh...Joe.... See what you started? LOL

Happygram, Soup parties are a lot of fun, and everyone loves them! If you'd care to share the recipe for the pea & barley soup I'd like to take a look at it. Those are two ingredients I'd not have thought to put together.

Linda

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

I love this party, Linda. It is my favorite time of year. I recently made this soup from Becky and it was awesome. It was on the potato soup thread.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sausage & Potato Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 large baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) -- peeled and cubed
    1 1/2 pounds kielbasa -- sliced
    2 stalks celery -- sliced
    2 medium carrots -- sliced
    1 medium onion -- chopped
    1/2 small head cabbage -- thinly sliced
    2 chicken bouillon cube (or sub 2 cups broth
    for 2 cups water)
    2 teaspoons dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup light sour cream
    6 1/2 cups water -- divided

1. In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat potatoes and 3 cups water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Do not drain - using hand mixer, puree potatoes and water.

2. In 8-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat, cook kielbasa, stirring frequently, until browned. Add celery, carrots, onion and cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in pureed potatoes, bouillon, marjoram, salt, pepper and another 3 1/2 cups water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Stir in half-and-half and sour cream; heat through. (Do not boil, or mixture may curdle.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• jude31
    15 years ago

Well, I might as well jump in and join the fun. On Monday, this will be the 3rd year for our annual Family Soup Supper. This year it will be Hearty Vegetable Soup,(it does have left over roast beef tidbits in it), Potato Soup, French Onion Soup and Chicken tortilla Soup. 2 of my daughters are doing the French Onion and Potato and I'm doing the other 2. We'll have Mexican cornbread, various kinds of crackers, and several garnishes, and I' making Spinach Con Queso Dip to start us out. For dessert we'll have pound cake and several different cookies. Our number this year is only 17 and everyone contributes something. We use styro bowls and plastic flatware. It seems to be the most popular of our family gatherings except for Christmas morning breakfast and it's the hands down favorite.
    I'll be sure to save this thread, thanks to Carol I now know how, and look forward to trying many of the recipes.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I love, love, love soup parties. Fall is my favorite season and it just screams for soup IMO!

We do like you and have several soups, breads, various butters, vegetables & dip, a couple of different salads, crackers/bagel chips/pita chips/hummus and various cheeses and fruit. Two or three different desserts to follow along with drinks.

If we have a larger number of people then we just use stryofoam cups for people to use to put their soup in. If smaller, then we use a variety of soup bowls that I have.

• flamingo1121
    15 years ago

I love this idea and since my house will be decorated for halloween I think I might joing in. Just need to persuade DH. But here is an invitation idea...

Bubble Bubble Boiling Trouble!

What have Witch Heidi and Warlock Peter
    cooked up now?

Their Cauldrons of Soups Party

Please join them at their home
    for a frightfully fun time!

Sunday, October 26th
    Starting at 5pm

Or does it sound too corny?

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I'm the odd guy out here and think the Turkey Spaetzle would be a nice for those who might not want steak or Salmon. Having said that I would love to check out the KC Steak recipe if you have it or link to it. I really miss having bon fires up at the lake so I'll just go of to a corner and pout!

David

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David,

Here is the original recipe. I am actually going to use this recipe asa starting point and do some major "tweaking". It has good flavor, but I want to actually use steak in it rather than ground beef. plus I want to use fresh veggies rather than frozen. So once I "perfect" it, I'll repost my version.

Oh...and PS...anytime you want to hang out by a bonfire, just hop on a plane and head to Minnesota! LOL My door is always open!

Kansas City Steak Soup
    Source: Midwest Living 2/08
    Prep: 15 minutes
    Cook: 25 minutes

Ingredients
    1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (sirloin)
    1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
    2 14-ounce cans lower-sodium beef broth or 3-1/2
    cups beef stock
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
    2 tablespoons steak sauce
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions
    1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain well; return to Dutch oven.
    2. Stir in 1 can of the beef broth, undrained tomatoes, mixed vegetables, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
    3. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together remaining can of beef broth and the flour. Stir into mixture in Dutch oven. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Makes 6 main-dish servings.

Linda

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    15 years ago

Looking forward to hearing about your soup party, Linda! Sounds like a great party!

I made this one last night, it was great, had the leftovers today and it was even better!

Tuscan Bean Soup

1 cup peeled carrots, coarsely chopped (I used shredded carrots from a bag)
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I used 3 cans)
    1 32-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth or stock
    2 to 3 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning; crushed (I used dried oregano, about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
    1 5-oz. pkg. baby spinach
    freshly cracked black pepper

Parmigiano-reggiano (optional) (I used a handful to sprinkle on the soup!)

In 4-quart Dutch oven or soup pot, cook and stir carrots and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat 3 minutes.

Add beans, broth, and seasoning. Bring to boiling; slightly mash beans.

Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I simmered for longer!)

Meanwhile, in large skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; toss with tongs 1 to 2 minutes, just until wilted. Remove from heat. (I omitted this step, and just threw the baby spinach in the soup pot when the soup was ready and stirred it in!)

Ladle soup; top with spinach, sprinkle with pepper. Serve with crusty bread.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight...The Sausage & Potato soup is on the stove! Thanks, Becky.

• happygram
    15 years ago

Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley Soup (from California Pizza Kitchen cookbook and restaurant)

1 lb. dried split peas (sorted and rinsed)
    1/2 C. pearl barley
    2 qts. water
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 Tbsp. dried)
    2 tsp. minced garlic (fresh)
    1/2 tsp. rubbed dried sage
    large pinch ground cumin
    1 1/2 C. diced carrots
    2/3 C. minced onion
    1/2 C. finely diced celery
    1/4 C. thinkly sliced scallion or green onion greens

In a large pot or saucepan, combine the split peas, barley, water, bay leaves, salt, soy sauce, thyme, garlic, sage, and cumin. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then stir in the carrots, onion, and celery. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20-30 minutes more. Discard the bay leaves. Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with scallion or green onion greens.

(You might want to add more of the seasonings and use an immersion blender to make the soup completely smooth

Have a wonderful party. I'm sure your guests will really enjoy themselves,

and..

Joe, thanks in advance for the tried and true soup recipes.

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

Linda, your selections sound great. My soup party is in February, when it is yucky and depressing, so it beaks the winter monotony.
    I think I will try that steak soup. It sounds good.
    I am doing a "bucket party" in a few weeks. We will be wtching the movie, "The Bucket List," and everybody has to bring something in a bucket to round out the meal (brats in a bucket).
    Sherry
    P.S. Congratulations on the coming grandbaby.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sherry. Sarah had her first OB appointment yesterday, they had an ultrasound and the heartbeat is strong. Due date is May 26.

Your bucket party sounds like fun, too!

(Ahem) as for food.....That is an interesting combination of ingredients, happygram. I will have to try that recipe!

Dishes, that Tuscan Bean Soup looks good, too. Similar to one that Ohiomom posted and I saved a while back, but a little different.

Well, it's 71 degrees and sunny today, so my mind is not on soup just now! LOL (Give it a few days, we'll have frost! LOL)

Linda

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Linda! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the recipe as I was thinking "steak" too when I read your choices.

Thanks for the invite....I'll bring lots of wine!

David

• trudy_gw
    15 years ago

Here is my contributions to the soup party ideas. I made this on Monday for a family at our church. When I make it, I dont use the recipe, just throw things in the pot.
    The family asked for the recipe. They dont make things from scratch often, so forgive me if it sounds like its typed up for non-cookers!

My soup is different every time I make it.
    Could make this soup vegetarian if you cut out the sausage.

Appreciate all the other soup recipes posted.

We are now thinking of doing a "Soup/Bonfire" party also.
    Gotta love those bonfires :)

ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP

1 LB plain sausage or Itailian sausage
    browned and greased drained

In soup pot mix together: and simmer at least 1.5 hr. or more is better.

cooked sausage
    2 qts water with 3 T. boullion chicken/beef or mix of both
    1 large (around approx. 26 oz) can spaghetti sauce
    1 large 16 oz or 26 oz can chopped tomatoes
    2-3 T. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 -1 cup lentils
    1/4- 1/2 cup barley (not instant)
    2-3 medium carrots
    2-3 stalks celery
    1-2 cans green beans
    2 bay leaves (remove when soup is done)
    1 large onion
    2 T. fennel seed (crush in your hand to release flavor)
    garlic powder to taste
    salt and pepper to taste

Add: after soup has cooked at least 45 min. to one hr. add 1/2- 3/4 cup any pasta. Cook another 15 min.

Opptional ideas to add: any vegetable, tomato juice for liquid, Black or any beans, Hot sauce, mushrooms, rice,
    white potatoes or sweet

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

I did a LITTLE editing to my collection of 150+ T&T soup recipes. Only a little editing; although some individual recipes are nicely formatted, most are still not. But they're all readable.

The first half of the recipes in this Word file were gathered from this site (at least mostly, I think). I am sorry I don't have the source written down -- it's a tricky thing to do when copying and pasting and then reformatting using Tables. If any of these recipes are yours, please let me know so I can credit if I have to.

If anyone would like a copy of this Word file, I'd be happy to e-mail it to him or her. I'm not sure how to do that since I'm not sure I want to post my e-mail address here (the last time I did that, some of you women sent me obscene e-mails along with love notes). Suggestions on how to get the file to y'all in an easy, one-shot manner?

By the way, just kidding about the obscene e-mails.

Joe

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Joe, can I have a copy too? Please? Pretty please?

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops. I replied on the other thread. I would love a copy!

Thanks for your generosity, Joe!

Linda

• dirtgirl07
    15 years ago

Hey Joe, don't know if anyone told you how to send the folder so here goes..
    first you need all of their email addresses - then go into
    Windows Explorer and highlight the file you're going to send,
    Then right click on that file - a menu should come up with one choice being winzip (my computers old so it may be a different name) - hit that choice and it gives you multiple choices - you want the one that says "Zip and email - your file folder name" - it does it all for you. It will pop up with an email, with the zipped file folder, ready for you to fill in the email addresses.

And, great forum, great subject!! Usually I'm on the tomato growing forum - decided to browse tonight - glad I did!! Thanks for the great recipes ya'll.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

What an awesome collection of soups....now I'm craving beef mushroom barley!

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

I've sent the recipe collection to those of you who put in your wonderfully broken e-mail addresses. I will do my best to get around to sending this file to those of you who I'll have to individually contact via this website.

Joe