SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

Cream of Chicken Soup for Party

jcrowley99
16 years ago

I'm going to a party tomarrow evening and I am bringing Cream of Chicken Soup. Everyone brings a dish and this is the hostesses favorite soup. I did a practice run on Thurday (using only low fat milk since the hubby is trying to lose a few lbs) and the soup has to be quick since I will be up at the school all day. My hubby thought it was great. Here is the recipe I will be making. If anyone actually has a favorite cream of chicken soup recipe and can offer tips that would be great. The recipe originally had a cup of mushrooms but I am leaving those out since some people don't like them. My favorite recipe uses a whole chicken, but I won't have time for that tomarrow.

Cream of Chicken Soup

8 oz chicken breast, slivered

1/2 cup leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced

1 1/2 Tbsp EVOO

1 clove garlic, crushed

10 to 12 grinds fresh ground pepper

1/4 tsp chervil

2 Tbsp parsley

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup half and half or cream (I'm using half and half)

1/4 cup flour

Heat the Evoo and cook the chicken until no longer pink. Add the leeks and cook until softened. Add the garlic, pepper, chervil, and parsley. Mix. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, then let simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in the milk and heat. mix the 1/4 cup flour with the half and half, stir into the soup. Continue to stir until thickened. Cook for a few minutes to blend flavors.

I would serve this with wild or brown rice normally but someone else is bringing chicken and rice soup (not cream). So what do ya'll think? Should I use more half and half and less milk? Maybe a shallot added with the leek? Thanks for your help. I would normally prefer to bring dessert but I responded late and there were already half a dozen desserts being brought. The main dish is chicken lasanga. I can't change soups because the lady hostessing is looking forward to the cream of chicken and thinks it will go great with her main dish.

Joanne

Comments (4)