SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danain

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

danain
16 years ago

I decided to slide in here a see what was cooking and the soup party thread reminded me of my updated Creamy Tortilla Soup and a new Enchilada Soup I wanted to share.

My neighbor gave me the recipe for the Enchilada Soup which calls for Masa mix which inspired me to change the recipe for my Creamy Tortilla Soup...this change makes all the difference:

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

{{gwi:2068962}}

1 whole chicken breast cut in two

1 teaspoon southwest seasoning

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion; chopped

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies

1/2 cup instant corn masa mix

4 cups chicken broth

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese-optional

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

juice from 1/2 fresh lime

1 cup diced, seeded Roma tomatoes or salsa

Sour cream and fresh cilantro for garnish

Season chicken with southwest seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add chicken, cooking for 4 minutes on each side turning once. Remove chicken to cutting board and set aside. Add onions to the saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic to pot until fragrant then add tomatoes. Place corn masa mix in a jar with a tight fitting lid along with broth and shake until well combined; add to soup along with spices. Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened. Remove from heat; allow to cool for 5 minutes before pureeing soup base in batches in a blender until smooth, return soup to pot.

Cut chicken into small chunks and add to pureed soup in pot. Stir in corn and cream and return to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in cheese and cilantro; stir to melt cheese. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.

Marilyn

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 pound chicken breast (about 3 breast halves)

1 medium onion; diced

1 clove garlic; minced

4 cups chicken broth

1 cup instant corn masa mix

3 cups cold water

1 (10 oz. can enchilada sauce) mild or hot

1 pound (or 1/2 pound) Velveeta cheese (Mexican or regular)

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

a handful chopped cilantro

salt to taste

3 Roma tomatoes; seeded and diced

Place olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to hot oil in pot and brown for 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken and set aside.

Add onions to soup pot along with a little more oil if necessary along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook over low heat until onions are translucent; remove lid and stir in garlic until fragrant then add chicken broth. Place corn masa in a jar with a tight fitting lid along with the cold water; shake until masa is completely dissolved; add to soup pot. Stir in enchilada sauce, cheese (cut into cubes), chili powder and cumin. Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces and add to soup. Cook and stir over low-medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro, taste and add salt to taste. Serve hot garnished with diced tomato and if desire, crumbled tortilla chips.

*Recipe inspired by Chili’s Enchilada Soup…thank you Donita.

Marilyn

Comments (15)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm