SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What's your take on chicken tortilla soup?

plllog
4 years ago

We ordered in dinner last night because I wasn't feeling up to cooking. I got some extra chicken tortilla soup, which at restaurants around here is a spiced chicken broth thickened with old tortillas (or not) with bits of chicken and vegetables, usually with a lot of celery flavor, and topped with crisp tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese and anything else you might top Mexican food with. What came was more like enchilada sauce. The lumpy stuff delivered on the side was fine, but the soup itself was surprising. It was actually soup. No way I could eat a whole bowl of enchilada sauce. But if you reduced enchilada sauce then thinned it with stock, that's pretty much what you'd get. I improved it with some jarred salsa picante==it needed more acid and more sweet. I don't usually make it, but besides thickening with tortillas, I put in a small dollop of sour cream and stir in just before serving, and add a lot of green things to compensate for no cilantro and crunch. I don't make chips for it, but could serve bought ones on the side.

What is your version of chicken tortilla soup?

Comments (19)