SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Planning my soup menu

doucanoe
14 years ago

It's that time again....Our annual fall soup party and bonfire is set for October 17.

I had a lovely Mushrrom Brie Soup last year at a deli in cental Minnesota. It was rich and flavorful. I looked for a recipe and tried this one, but it wasn't as rich as I was hoping for.

Mushroom and Brie Soup

2 T butter

2 shallots, minced

1 medium onion, minced

3 lb mushrooms, sliced

1 c dry white wine

4 c cream

8 oz brie cheese

In a medium sized pot set over medium-high heat melt butter.

Sauté onions and shallots in butter until they are a deep golden brown.

Add mushrooms all at once and gently stir for about 1 minute.

Stir in white wine and reduce to a simmer.

Almost all at once the mushrooms will release all of their liquid to make a mushroom broth.

Add heavy cream and simmer for about 20 minutes to develop flavors.

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.

Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese.

Important: DO NOT allow soup to boil once you have incorporated the cheese or the oils will separate!

Did another search and found this one. I think the addition of the sherry and the beef broth may be the answer to how to make a richer, more flavorful soup. Tell me what you think. Does this one sound better to you? Sherried Brie and Mushroom Soup Makes 8 cups 1 pound brie cheese 2 cups dry sherry 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced 1/2 cup minced shallots 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 tablespoons flour 4 cups low\-sodium beef broth 1 3/4 cups half and half 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh chives, for garnish Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste Trim the rind from the brie and then roughly tear it into 2\-inch pieces. (It is easy to trim if you first place the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes or until it is sufficiently hard.) Set aside. In a small saucepan, reduce the sherry over medium\-high heat to 1 cup. Set aside. in a medium stockpot over medium\-high heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and lemon juice and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the flour, and stir until the flour is fully incorporated. Return the mixture to heat and add the beef broth and reserved sherry. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the trimmed Brie, stirring until the cheese has melted. Add the half and half and pepper and continue to simmer without boiling for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish each with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the chives. Linda

Comments (4)