SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Kitchen paint help PLEASE - I'm tired of buying sample quarts!

merimom
15 years ago

Since we are DIY, we would love to paint before the cabinets go in (no cutting in, and easier to paint the wall above the cabinets). I know paint is supposed to be the last thing, but it would just make our lives easier if we could pick a paint color first. We should be ready to install very soon.

Here is our layout, no soffits, just standard 30-inch wall cabinets in most places except for 36-in tall cabinets in the corners and over the range, which leaves a small area to paint. Window above sink faces east so only gets really good sunshine in the morning hours. Directly across from that is our eating area which has a 6-ft section of windows which face west and gets most of its light in the late afternoon. So, while it is not a complete cave, lack of natural light is somewhat of an issue.

{{gwi:1575100}}

While I do not regret all the well deliberated choices we made for the materials in our kitchen (stain vs painted cabinets, tile vs wood floors) because we made the best decisions for what would work for our family and our home, I still can't help but feel like the materials we have are forcing me to pick paint colors I am not happy with.

Our cabinets are Kraftmaid cherry in a Sunset stain. Their true color really does not photograph well, but I would probably say they are a medium brown, and maybe a tiny bit more orange than I was expecting, but I hope this will "mellow" with time.

This is probably the closest photo I have of the cabinet color, shown with our floor tile, and a sample of tropical brown granite which we decided would make the room too brown so ignore that)

{{gwi:1603495}}

Our floor is a beige porcelain tile that looks similar to honed travertine. It has a little bit of gold and gray in it. From the manufacturers website..Serenissima Coronado Cream:

{{gwi:1583165}}

{{gwi:1603496}}

We were thinking about doing an uba tuba granite countertop to add some contrast against the cabinets. I like lighter granites, but DH finds them too busy so I think they are out.

We really like this China Gold slate/quartzite backsplash. It has lighter, brighter colors that than "normal" slate. The creams/golds in this slate go really well with our floor. I asked the sales rep at Virginia Tile to show me some other options and she should could have tried to sell me on an expensive tile, but she said she probably couldn't find anything as nice as what I picked out (Yea! I did SOMETHING right!). So, the backsplash decision is set. (We are glad to get some slate in the kitchen because DH and I love the natural beauty of slate...We made the decision to get a porcelain tile floor vs slate bc we have young kids crawling around)

We are probably going to do a 4x4 tile on the backsplash, but here it is...

{{gwi:1583166}}

Also, athomedad has this slate on the floor in his kitchen:

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2005/06/athomedads-kitchen.html

So, now to the paint color...We seem to think we should do a green to highlight the cabinets (after all they are the most expensive part of the kitchen...they should take center-stage). We have tried BM Nantucket Gray at 50,75, and 100%, Dried Basil, Spanish Olive, Baby Turtle, Flowering Herbs, Tree Moss, Grecian Green. Nantucket Gray looked good with the elements, but it just wasn't making me all warm and fuzzy. Tree Moss has a little more life to it while still in line with the earth tones in the backsplash, but I just don't know. It all seems kinda dark.

I keep going back to my original vision of a buttery cream/beige/gold, but I wonder if that will be too bland against the cabinets. Also, my mother-in-law said "Whatever you do, don't do yellow bc it will just make your floors look dirty". Gotta love mother-in-laws...Is she right? Most kitchens I see with that buttery cream color on the walls seem to have wood floors.

So, what do you think about the green situation? What about the buttery cream idea? Any specific paint name suggestions and pictures would be really helpful. Thanks so much!

Some more photos...Sorry this is so long, but I figured I would provide as much info as you could...

My paint experiments...My DH just shakes his head (in order Nantucket Gray at 50%, Grecian green, Spanish olive, Tree moss, Nantucket gray at 75%)

{{gwi:1603497}}

The 2 greens I would be leaning towards (spanish olive and tree moss):

{{gwi:1603498}}

Tree Moss on another wall next to the pink (yes, pink in the kitchen) paint I inherited from the previous owner):

{{gwi:1603499}}

Pretty close to the actual color of the backsplash...Maybe just a tad darker than it really is:

{{gwi:1603500}}

Thanks again. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz