SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janice__indiana5

Low FODMAP diet

janice__indiana5
9 years ago

Is anyone familiar with this diet? My DIL has been put on this diet and also has a few other restrictions as in no soy or nuts to name a few. She is feeling kinda down. The kids both work long hours and have long commutes. We don't live close, so trying to cook a few meals to help out is out of the question. I have a whole foods gift card to send, but I would like to have some ideas to send. You all are such a wealth of knowledge, so I felt you would be a good source of recommendations, ideas, and recipes. Best GF flours? Pastas? Pizza crust? Holiday cookies? With the holidays coming up I am also thinking of meal planning. They only get home once a year, and will be here for Christmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: LOFODMAP

Comments (17)

• plllog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've just been learning about this because I have a dear friend on the diet. I recently made a very mild, chili inspired dish for her, but haven't heard back on how well she did eating it. The recipe is in the onion/garlic allergy thread. It's very tasty and nutritious. I served it with toppings to stir in like shredded cheddar and kale salad. You'll see in the ingredients that there's tomato paste in the crushed tomatoes I used, but it's diluted enough, not only in the can, but in the pot, that it's not an issue. Concentrated fruits are the problem, and why tomato paste is sometimes listed as bad.

I've been working on some other recipes as well, including my pumpkin lasagna, but haven't finished them. I'll be doing the lasagna in a couple of weeks and can let you know the recipe, if you're interested. Another one I'm doing is chicken pot pie with gluten free biscuit topping. That's trickier. I have to work on the gravy. I asked about the biscuits in this thread and got good suggestions for gluten free flour. Bob's gluten free pie crust mix is disgusting and I'm not too impressed with their gluten free flour. It might be great for quickbreads and the like, but I intend to try the very expensive Williams-Sonoma one suggested in the thread.

The easiest chart I've found is from Stanford. This one has some different foods that aren't mentioned on the first, and is still pretty clear. One could go mad!

I haven't thoroughly perused this blog, but I like the credentials of the bloggist. I'm not all that impressed with the recipes I've read there, but there's a lot of good information.

I also like the explanations given here. I found that when I was looking up coconut. It says that coconut is off the FODMAP list because they've found that the polyols it contains are "negligible", but I'd still hesitate to bake with coconut products (oil, flour, etc.) because of the concentration thing. That might be overcautious, but it's not me that's suffering if it's wrong. Save it for enjoying the flavor.

Today, I'm making gluten-free cookies for someone else, but I'll save out some of any that are low FODMAP for my friend. Not the black bean brownies! :) Remember when you're dealing with baked goods that while gluten isn't allowed on low FODMAP, lots of things that are in gluten free baking also aren't allowed.

Lots of simple foods are allowable. All kinds of good, healthy ones. Basic foods are delicious. Most herbs and spices are allowed, and they can transform a simple piece of fish or chicken into a symphony. My chili can be made on the weekend and keeps well in the fridge. I've put some in the freezer. I think it should do fine.

Can you find out what your DIL is missing in particular? From what I've been able to figure out, low FODMAP is easy enough if one cooks, but can be a nightmare if you're looking for prepared foods or going out. If the kids aren't enthusiastic about the cooking, it might be worth it to hire a private chef who can come in every couple of weeks and make things for the fridge and freezer that they both can eat. Most of all, I think once one has truly memorized the list and can know at a glance at the ingredients whether it's in or out, it'll become a lot easier.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

The first thing I always suggest for any new 'diet' is to make a list of foods they CAN have and work with whole foods as much as possible over the highly-processed commercial foods to develop menus with a wide variety of food choices as possible. It's important to feed your body foods high in nutrition, which is usually whole foods, not a packet/bag/box/can of highly-processed 'junk' completely void of nutrition. Keep It Simple!!! Especially at first.

How handy is she in the kitchen and how willing is she to DIY? She can save a lot of money by making things herself like almond milk, and personally, I wouldn't even consider commercial almond milk an option with all the 'crap' they put in it. All you need is a high-speed blender, almonds and water. You can use the remaining almond pulp after you drain it in a nut milk bag for all kinds of things. I make 'cereal' out of it, or some cookies or crackers. The pulp can be dried in a dehydrator and used for almond flour (blend it until it's fine). You can also make your own coconut milk with unsweetened coconut, water and a blender, and use the remaining pulp (dried) for coconut flour. I also use Powdered Coconut Milk from Wilderness Family Naturals. It's been a pantry staple for far longer than I've been GF. I would suggest buying coconut flour and almond flour from Honeyville Grain. They are currently having a sale, so it's stock-up time. These are the two main gluten-free flours I use. Check out the link below at Elana Amsterdam's web site for recipes.

Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix is also a good pantry item, with lots of recipes at the web site: www.pamelasproducts.com.

I've made a number of pizza crusts, but what I found works as well as anything is a soft corn tortilla for an individual-size pizza, if she can have corn. I just found a recipe in a magazine using quinoa for a pizza crust I'm going to try this Sunday.

You can do a search for 'FODMAP recipes' on-line and check your local library for books on the subject, and that might be a good place to start. You have a better chance of controlling the ingredients when you make things yourself.

As plllog suggested, 'find out what your DIL is missing in particular.' I have a wide variety of GF cookbooks as well as recipes I've developed. I made GF foods for my mother many years ago -- long before there were all the wonderful options that are available today. It's sooooooo much easier now!

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Elana's Pantry

• Related Discussions

Thoughts: DIY Instant Noodles Cups

Q

Comments (21)
    tishtoshnm -- As with many gluten-free books, they use more high-glycemic starches and all-purpose gluten-free flour mixtures than I care to consume. I tend to use more almond and coconut flour for baked goods. You are right, my "shoestring" is definitely much smaller than the author's (LOL). To give credit where credit is due, she does the math with many of the recipes in the book to prove her "shoestring" theory - based on making her recipe or buying a g-f frozen version. Personally, I can live without a gluten-free baked pretzel - at any price. Some foods you just can't make a good gluten-free substitute, so I don't waste my time/money. There are a lot of meat-related and vegetable recipes, but most people who are gluten-free don't need a recipe for glazed carrots or pot roast. The only recipe I've tried was for Arepas: (makes 10-12) 1 c. precooked cornmeal flour (P.A.N.) 1 c. grated mozzarella cheese 1/8 t. kosher salt 1 c. plus 2-4 T. tepid water 1/4 c. vegetable oil (I use coconut oil) In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal flour, cheese, and salt. Add 1 cup of water and stir to combine and incorporate the water into the flour mixture. Add more water by the tablespoonful if necessary for the dough to come together. Once the dough has come together, cover the towel with plastic wrap and allow it to stand at room temperature for 3-4 minutes. The cornmeal flour will continue to absorb water, and the dough will stiffen as it stands. After the dough has stiffened, wet your hands and divide the dough into 10-12 portions of about 3 T. each. With wet hands again, form the first piece of dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk about 1/4-inch thick and 2-1/2-inches wide. Repeat with each piece of dough. Pour the oil into a 12-inch skillet with at least 2-inch high sides, and heat the oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. While the oil heats, prepare the first portion of dough for frying. Wet your hands again and press all around the edge of the disk, eliminating any cracks. Flatten along the side, smoothing as you go. When you fry the Arepas, if you have successfully eliminated all the cracks, steam will build up inside and they will puff and swell. It takes some practice, but it's well worth the effort. When the oil is ready, place each portion of dough carefully in the pan, and fry until golden brown, turning over once during frying and frying for 4-5 minutes per side. Do not crowd the pan. Fry in batches. Drain Arepas on towels before serving. With a wet serrated knife, slice the Arepas in half horizontally and serve warm or at room temperature. (Grainlady note: I slice them open before wrapping the leftovers for the freezer. In fact, I use my English Muffin "fork" for the task. I like to toast the inside on a dry griddle after they are thawed, apply the filling of choice - we often make ham and cheese - then grill the outside to melt the cheese inside and warm the ham. I also use them with poached eggs (using one-half of an arepa, toasted), shredded pork/beef/chicken sandwiches, egg salad, tuna salad...... I always wish I would have know this recipe for my mother, who had Celiac disease. She would have loved these little beauties. :-) -Grainlady
    ...See More

Gluten free--Don't want to hijack the bread post

Q

Comments (14)
    About grinding einkorn in a Vitamix.... Yes, IF you have the DRY BLADE CONTAINER, which is used for hard, dry materials, such as grain, and for kneading dough. The container the Vitamix comes with is the WET BLADE CONTAINER. I have a "bevy" of mills, but I teach classes on the subject and have purchased them over the span of many years. I can mill any type of grain/seed/bean from tiny teff and amaranth to dent corn and garbanzo beans. Personally, I wouldn't use a Vitamix (with the dry blade container) because it heats the flour too much, but if you already have the dry blade container, chill your grain in the freezer and only grind it in small amounts with the least amount of time for processing possible to keep it from getting too hot. The heat destroys nutrients. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ COOKIE8 - I use your recipe for FLAX COOKIES you shared on the Cooking group from 5-12-2014 (which also requires ground pumpkin seeds). Your recipe above looks great, too. :-) I sprout pumpkin seeds to make them easier to digest, and look forward to trying the recipe. -Grainlady
    ...See More

Gluten free = high calories?

Q

Comments (54)
    Oh! Interesting. I know a guy who had something like that. He got food poisoning from tempura and couldn't face any Japanese restaurant for years after. You're right. It is similar to my brain telling me to spit out mango juice flavored vitamins even though I figured out they'd be safe to eat. :) Allergies are weird too, though, like the way many people can't eat a cooked egg without a violent intestinal reaction but can eat non-eggy baked goods with some eggs in them with no problem. There really are some people who can take onion powder or very cooked down onions, but if they're pretty solid they get intestinal reactions. Bossyvossy, Have you been checking out the Cooking forum? Grainlady and others have been posting more good information about gluten free baking there.
    ...See More

Low FODMAP entertaining menu?

Q

Comments (29)
    Thanks for the additional info. My son is allergic to tree nuts & peanuts (which includes legumes except green beans and wax beans) so I couldn't use chestnut flour, but I think he had water chestnuts before we knew about his allergies - they might be a vegetable and not a nut? Mentioning the tapioca flour got me thinking - there is a place nearby that sells gluten free rolls made with cassava flour (which is what I think you make tapioca out of?) and they are nut free too - only a few ingredients. I think there is cheese in them, but I think it is cheddar, which my brother can have. I may go buy some of those and leave it up to him if he wants to try one or not. otherwise my nephew that is celiac would eat at least one when I host that side of the family next Saturday. I have bought them for him before, but didn't think about it for my brother - thanks for triggering my memory!
    ...See More
  • plllog
    9 years ago

So, to make things even more confusing, I've been looking at more lists and some say cabbage and fennel are fine while others say they're not! Same as coconut. I was worried that I'd poisoned my friend because the list I had that included it said fennel was okay. Something gave both her and her husband some bloating, so I worry it was the fennel. My friend said it's not on her list of bads. If you make the chili recipe, consider leaving it out.

Today, I'm making chicken stock from backs, necks and hearts, with rutabagas, turnip, carrots and parsley, also with some fennel greens (it's the bulbs that are a problem, if it's a problem, and they were already in the stock) and bay leaves. Of course, bone stock, from carcasses and feet, would be ideal. I didn't have any of those, however. :) I wanted something to make gravy from, but it turns out my friend doesn't really want chicken pot pie. :)

I'm still going to try the biscuits, and take her some, as well as the cookies. For something different.

She was just telling me about the research at Monash University in Australia showing good results for certain issues with Kiwi Extract. Apparently, it's not sold in the U.S., yet. It comes from New Zealand (makes sense).

• compumom
    9 years ago

I was on the FODMAPs diet and discovered it's not an all or nothing thing. See how she does with it. I was adding in foods weekly until we figured out my triggers. I'm also allergic to wheat, onion, garlic and the like too. I am gluten free and it's true, many of the gluten free flours aren't friendly to me or to FODMAPs.
    I think making a list of what CAN be eaten is helpful. Proteins like fowl, fish and meat are usually okay. If you can find a pasta that's both gluten free and low Fodmap, that's great. Ones with jerusalem artichoke flour gave me fits. Rice pasta was ok, but freezing GF pasta wasn't great. I think rice based dishes are easier.
    As for sweets, that's touchy. I think she needs to find what fruits and sugars give her the least trouble. Time will tell as she keeps a food diary.
    This diet was suggested by a former member here on the CF who was becoming a dietician. She heard a lecture by a Harvard prof on this type of diet. I was very uncomfortable and gave it a trial. My leaky gut began to heal and I was able to cautiously introduce a greater variety into my diet. I bought a book on Amazon that was quite helpful. There are more books available, but it might be a starting point. You're a good MIL!

Here is a link that might be useful: IBS- Free at Last

• cookie8
    9 years ago

I would suggest a food journal too to write down everything that was eaten at what time and any reactions that happen at what time. It's nice to have something to turn to so you can put together the puzzle on what bothers your system.

• beckyc104
    9 years ago

A friend of mine sent me your thread as I just went through this diet. Your DIL probably knows but just for you, I thought I'd add, this is an elimination diet. You eliminate all the high FODMAPS foods for a period of time (they suggest six weeks but ALL of my symptoms of IBS disappeared in two weeks) and then you gradually add back in the usual suspects. Not everyone reacts to the same triggers. For me it is wheat flour primarily. AND it's not the gluten, it's the wheat. As I am a baker and love Russian bread I often make real Russian Rye (pure Rye flour, no wheat) and that bread bothers me not at all. I also can't eat any corn sugars, but regular corn, as in my corn tortillas is fine. Broccoli no, mushrooms onion and garlic, yes. I can't eat most of the stone fruits plus watermelon, but that leaves lots of fruits that one can still enjoy. And nuts are no problem to me at all. So while, the list you're looking at is TRAGICALLY limited :) she may be able to expand her repertoire as she reintroduces foods and only eliminates the trouble makers. Which will make your cooking for her so much simpler!

Later on, things to use as pasta substitutes ... for the lasagna, squash cut long ways and grilled before using (then press the water out), for spaghetti, shredded, sauteed cabbage (both of these are eliminated on the introductory phase, but I was able to add both back in and still use them as I can't have wheat). Also there are many, many brown rice flour pastas available that are allegedly low FODMAPS. While I was able to reintroduce white rice, brown rice tears me up so she'll really have to experiment with her reintroductions. But, as someone who was diagnosed with IBS 30 years ago (and told I just couldn't handle my emotions, poor little female) it's so fabulous to be given actual evidence based instruction and for it to work like a charm! This is the first time in my life my abdomen hasn't been swollen. :) Good luck to your DIL. It will change her life.

• compumom
    9 years ago

Wow Becky, it's fabulous to have figured out your triggers and solved your IBS! I also have some problems with brown rice and I am very sensitive to wheat and other grains. I wish I could have some kind of bread, but most of the GF ones give me the itchies or an upset tummy!

• mygutfeeling
    9 years ago

Hello! I am on a low FODMAP diet and have a blog with recipes and resources. Hope it can help.

Joana

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gut Feeling

This post was edited by mygutfeeling on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 16:38

• plllog
    9 years ago

Joana, it sounds like you mean well, but it is against the forum policy to use links to drive traffic to your blog.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I saw this thread on the recent post list and hope y'all don't mind if I jump in.
    After years of trying different things and a quick trip to ER I finally completely changed my eating plan.
    I started with a complete list of foods I can have that I actually like and will eat. I am also grain nut egg dairy legume potato free. My list is much smaller than the allowed foods since I do not eat or have access to a lot of the foods listed.
    There are several great recipe sites available but you really have to dig. Having the right ingredients makes all the difference. When I first cleaned out my pantry I had garlic onions and applesauce left.
    My favorite book is The paleo approach. She explains in scientific and plain English what happens and why. I am only 3 weeks in and already so frustrated. I believe Meal planning is going to be key to success.
    sorry to ramble on. I hope you get some ideas that help your DIL. She is lucky to have you.
    Kim

This post was edited by luvncannin on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 19:32

• plllog
    9 years ago

My friend doesn't have IBS, but does have digestive issues that low FODMAP is supposed to help. I've been doing a ton of research trying to figure out what she can have, but, of course, it's so idiosyncratic that the lists are only helpful to a certain point, and then it's a matter of hoping for the best. She's not on the elimination diet. For that, the closest to whole food the better so that it's easiest to identify culprits if you have a reactions, but even so, sometimes you just want something that tastes good, right?

Since she can have cheese, I thought she'd like my pumpkin lasagna. She's had it the usual way and was stuck on it once I mentioned it as a possibility. I did a LOT of research on cheese.

Keeping in mind that for IBS purposes, cheese is binding, portions of everything should be limited, and cheese = animal fat, but this is what I've learned:

The lactose--the FODMAP--is in the whey. That's why the lists have hard cheeses as okay, but all say no ricotta. Makes sense. True ricotta is made from whey. Lasagna loves ricotta, though, right? So why not make quick ricotta (boil milk with salt, remove from heat, stir in vinegar, hang in cheesecloth) from Lactaid? I saw a blog where someone had made lactose free brie, so I was sure it would work, and it did.

Then there's the mozzarella. It's on both lists, good and bad. What gives? Some mozzarella is a dry hard cheese (i.e., no whey and no lactose). "Fresh" mozzarella, and the soft ones, are packed in whey and can have whey all the way through them. I usually use fresh mozz, but there's no reason I couldn't make a lasagna with the hard kind. It still melts really well. I found a "low moisture" mozzarella at a chain store. That sounded good for this.

I found a trick on a blog. Unless it's a compound cheese (e.g., with cranberries for the holiday) or cheese ball, or something like that, there's probably no sugar in the ingredients except for the milk. If the nutrition information says 0 sugars, there's no lactose! This doesn't work with the artisanal cheeses I usually buy, but anything that's packaged has a nutrition label.

But then there are the noodles. I got DeBole's rice lasagna (ingredients: rice flour and rice bran extract). I don't know if the rice bran extract would be too concentrated for some low FODMAPer's, but it looks like real lasagna. It says on the box not to pre-cook and "oven ready'. NOT. It at least needed a lot of soaking in hot water. It did not cook through. I felt bad about it, but my friend was thrilled picking out the different layers of cheese and the roasted pumpkin from those pieces that didn't cook through. There was the ricotta and low moisture mozzarella, as well as romano, asiago, fontina and provalone, plus a Lactaid bechamel on the pumpkin layers. Even with the noodle fiasco, it was really yummy.

Served with baby romaine and heirloom tomatoes, herb vinaigrette from Spanish EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar, some fresh squeezed lemon juice, pepper and Italian herbs. Also eggplant spears roasted with light olive oil, and a spice blend with lemon zest, dried thyme, ground corriander, a little salt, more pepper, and a good amount of fenugreek.

Dessert was very ripe strawberries and pumpkin shaped peanut butter blondies from Annie1992's cuppa recipe.

I had made them before as written using Trader Joe's unroasted, unsalted peanut butter. I've never seen a peanut butter like it, though it might just have been an odd one out. It was very liquid. I put it in a mini-cheesecake pan, rather than muffin cup, and didn't put the candy in, and they made popovers! I tried to do that with the pumpkin mini-cheesecake pan, but didn't have enough of the TJ's, and used a third of Whole Foods' roasted unsalted which had a texture more like I expect, and also used 3-4 TBSP less sugar. Between the stiffer dough and less sugar, I think there wasn't enough liquidity for them to pop. They were still very light (how not with eggs and baking powder?) and had that great blondie texture.

As I said, this meal isn't necessarily for those on an elimination diet if they haven't already had successes with all the ingredients, but it's also true that Low FODMAP doesn't have to be bland, boring, deprivation.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

That lasagna looks amazing, plllog. You know, if you make it again you might want to try thin-sliced zucchini instead of the pasta. I usually make it that way these days and it's really quite good.

What a good friend you are to do all this specialized cooking.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Thanks, Writersblock!

We usually go out for tea, but my friend can't on this diet, so why not cook?

I think rather than the zucchini, it might work to use a full sized pumpkin and try to make sheets from that. Even if they were only mandolin wide, they might be great. I usually use a pie pumpkin, but the smaller, jack-o-lantern sized ones are sweet enough to roast up nicely. Just a little stringier. I bet the zucchini is great with classic tomato. I put zucchini in my sauce anyway.

What I think was successful about this meal is that I started with recipes that didn't depend on aliums or other FODMAPs to begin with. I usually make the eggplant with a commercial pepper blend for convenience, but it's no big deal to put together some spices that aren't on the bad list, and there never were any onions or garlic in my pumpkin lasagna recipe. Annie's cookies didn't have flour, either.

I think the biggest issue that a lot of the people whose comments I've encountered on the web while doing my research have is that they don't really cook to begin with, and don't know what to do with raw ingredients when presented with them, so it's extremely overwhelming. A lot of the recommendations don't make sense without a why either. It may say in the Monash book, which I haven't received yet, but the guides I've found online don't say. Things like about the lactose and the whey and the sugar content, or that tomato paste is on the out list because of the concentration even though tomatoes are okay. I also read somewhere that the reason it says no cherry tomatoes is that they're more likely to have mold (which is true, right at the stem, and requires a lot of inspection), but I haven't found anything that says what that has to do with FODMAPS.

• janice__indiana5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my, I've been off line since I started this thread! I was able to get on this morning and I'm so pleased to see the activity this thread has generated. I will process all the info. and then join back in. First let me say that because of the distance(miles) between us, it has been hard to get to really know my DIL. They both cook, but they are short on time. Secondly, the "list" isn't the ultimate word, because I had some ideas that I thought fit the bill, but then several time she said, oh I can't do ____ As much as I want to help, it might be harder than I thought. I did find out that after 6 weeks, they will start adding things back in. In her shoes, I think I would probably look for new recipes, than trying to make dishes that you expect to taste a certain way, at least until she knows what foods trigger her problems. Well I'm off to sift through all the info. you have all graciously shared!

• mygutfeeling
    9 years ago

Dear plllog, not my intention at all. I´ve started the blog to share all my knowledge on diets for sensitive guts (IBS, IBD, reflux, food allergies, intolerances and sensitivities), - low FODMAP, mostly gluten and dairy free. The big reference in the field is the Monash University. They have an app that shows the food you can eat and which quantities. And good luck Janice :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Monash University

• plllog
    9 years ago

Joana, As I said, I didn't think you had that intention--if your post hadn't seemed like you were sincerely trying to add to the thread, someone would have reported it and it would have gone poof. GW gets a lot of traffic so people do that, and I didn't want you to be bounced. Mention the name of your blog without a link and post something useful here, even if it's pasted from your blog, and you'll be right as rain.

I had some problems when I tried to download the Monash app. I should try again. I've read a lot of their stuff, and was supposed to have their booklet, but it hasn't come yet.

My next try is probably going to be meatballs marinara. Capers for a punch of flavor, and turnip instead of onion in the meatballs.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Here is how I made my low FODMAP dish this week. Lots of flavor. If you assess it on its own merits rather than comparing to a dear favorite, it's a good dish. I think one of the hardest parts of this diet is that it precludes so many favorite foods. There's no way this is going to be Mom's Sunday Gravy, and if that's what you have a hankering for, it's better just to have something entirely different. OTOH, if you're just wanting flavor, give it a try.

Meatballs Marinara

Meatballs (yield: 3 dozen):
    2 lbs. Ground Bison (10% fat) or any meat you like (not poultry, which cooks differently)
    1.5 c. White Jasmine Rice (or any rice you favor)
    3/4 c. Rolled Whole Oats
    3 small Parsnips, minced well
    1 lb. Carrots, minced well
    4 whole Eggs
    2 handfuls Dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Set the oven to convection, at 360° F. If you don't have convection, use bake, but put the trays in one at a time. Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper and give a light spritz of oil (not necessary, but browns the bottom).

In a food processor, whirr the rice into small pieces, but not completely down to flour. Some whole grains are okay, though you can go finer if you prefer. Whirr the oats lightly, as well. Dump into a large mixing bowl (I use a 5 qt. stainless). Do these first (before the wet of the roots). No need to clean the FP, just mince the carrots and parsnips and dump them into the mixing bowl. Crack the eggs separately to make sure they're okay and catch any little bits of shell and dump them in the bowl along with the meat, parsley and S&P. Mix well with your hands. Food service gloves are great for this. Don't overwork it, but get everything well distributed. Hands are much better than a spoon for this job.

Use a medium food scoop or large spoon to help make handball sized meatballs (or whatever size you prefer). Roll between your hands lightly to compact the surface but not squeeze the middle. Place on the baking sheets. They can be fairly near each other.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned.

Marinara Sauce (yield: 2 quarts, concentrated):
    3.5 lbs. Crushed and Pureed Tomatoes (2 large cans or equivalent homemade--any combination of the two)
    3 small fist sized Turnips, minced
    1/2 lb. Carrots, chopped
    1/4-1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    5 Roasted Serrano Chili Peppers, stemmed and seeded, or canned or dried equivalent, or substitute as you please. This isn't enough to make the sauce hot--just tasty. Mild chili pepper would be fine, or if you like hot, throw in the seeds, but don't skip this unless you have digestive issues with peppers.
    1 handful each, fresh, destemmed and chopped, or dried:
    Thyme, Oregano, Basil and Parsley
    1 Dried Bay Leaf, to be fished out at the end
    1 standard jar Capers
    Pepper to taste

You'll need a good pot, at least 3 qts. in capacity.

Drain the capers well in a strainer. When they're well drained, rinse them well to remove excess salt.

Mince the turnips in the food processor. Heat the pot to the temperature you usually sauté' at, or low end of medium, and add the smaller amount of oil. Cooking with EVOO is very tricky. It scorches easily, so go lower rather than higher, and don't turn your back on it. When a little piece of turnip will just bubble, add all the turnip and stir well, distributing the oil throughout. If you don't have enough oil to that, clear a space in the pan and add more, letting it heat just a bit before stirring it into the turnip.

Reduce the temperature and keep stirring every so often until it cooks down into a clumpy, paste like thing, and a taste proves that it's beginning to soften. Flatten it out and leave it go longer without stirring so it will start to brown. Stir occasionally and reflatten. This will take some time.

Chop the carrots in the food processor. Pulse so they don't go to small. The point is to release their water into the sauce rather than the FP, and let them lend their texture. If you want a smoother texture, you can mince them, but get all the good carrot juice.

When the turnip is beginning to brown on the bottom, stir in the carrots and chili peppers. When they're well heated, add the tomatoes and herbs. Stir well and taste for seasoning. Add pepper to taste. Don't add salt at this stage. Bring up to the high end of medium heat and wait for big bubbles. When you see several, reduce the heat to the high end of low, to simmer. You should still see a few small bubbles.

Add 3/4 of the capers, reserving 1/4 for garnish. Stir in and allow them to cook into the sauce, at least half an hour, still on simmer.

Taste for seasoning again. If you're using canned tomatoes, you probably don't need salt, especially with the saltiness of the capers. Remember, this sauce is reducing and that intensifies saltiness. If it actually tastes bland to you, go ahead and add a little salt. Adjust the herbs as you wish. Simmer another half an hour and remove from heat.

This is a concentrated sauce, which is almost stewlike, and should freeze well.. You can puree it if you want a smoother sauce--do this before adding any water.

Before using, add water a few tablespoonsful at a time, to get it to your desired consistency.

Combine:
    In a covered casserole or pot, or baking dish with a foil cover, put a ladle of sauce in the bottom and spread it around. Line it with meatballs, touching, but not smooshed together. Cover generously with sauce. Optional toppings: a blanket of arugula, a sprinkling of tasty cheese (romano or asiago, or parm, if you prefer), a dusting of chopped pine nuts (not too many for low FODMAP).

Cover and bake for 35-45 minutes at 350° F. until piping hot.

Alternatives: If you prefer a richer meatball, with more fat, that's fine. You can cook down the turnips in the drippings if there's enough to completely coat. Add some oil if not, but not EVOO which would be too flavorful.

Adjust the proportions of veg and binders to suit yourself. This meatball recipe is based on one which uses equivalent amounts of onion to parsnip and bread crumbs to rice/oats. You can go meatier if that's your preference, but take it out of the carrots. The parsnips provide the pungency that's missing from having no onions or garlic.

Edited to add yields.

This post was edited by plllog on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 19:20

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert