SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

Hello, an etiquette question, and a menu question

arabellamiller
14 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been occasionally lurking, but mostly I've been AWOL for a while because the kids are keeping me busy and I'm back in school part time (feels like full time).

Anyway I have a 2 part question - and I know the first part is minor, and probably stress-induced and not important at all, but I'd love to hear your advice:

DH's 40th birthday is coming up and I've invited 10 couples to dinner at a somewhat upscale restaurant. It was an evite, and the wording was "Please be our guests for dinner at xxx to celebrate DH's 40th birthday." After that I had a smaller font with "...no gifts, just you.". and in another section of the evite were the particulars (address, time, date, etc.). With Evite you are able to see who has opened and viewed the invitation. I'm pleased to report that everyone with one exception RSVP'd very promptly. I know that the one exception (a childhool pal of DH) did open and view the invite. After a few weeks, I called and the wife claimed not to have received the email. I resent. Later it was told to me through her DH that they didn't know how much the evening was going to cost them and they didn't want to come and be hit up for a costly meal and gift. He made me feel as if I was putting them out in someway by inviting them.

Was the wording not clear that we are hosting/paying for the evening? I thought it was pretty clear, but how else could I have worded it to let everyone know, without being tacky with a "we're footing the bill" kind of wording? Everyone else seems to have gotten the appropriate message, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. Just thought I'd ask for an impartial opinion.

Now on to the food. After the dinner, a few of the couples that live close by are going to come over for drinks. What to serve? We will have just had a very full Italian meal, but I feel like I should have something out to serve, particularly since cocktails are involved. Are chips and nuts enough? Fruit? Any suggestions? My sitter will be at home with the kids, so I could have her platter a few simple things.

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Thanks in advance.

AM

Comments (18)