SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

dog walking etiquette question

Fori
12 years ago

Howdy!

When I'm walking my dog on a city sidewalk and another person approaches with a dog, often they will cross the street. There is room to pass so I assume it's to keep the dogs from meeting.

Do they think my dog will eat their dog? Do they think THEIR dog will bite my dog? Are they just being cautious? Am *I* supposed to cross the street? What's going on here? It is usually people with small dogs which makes me wonder if they're afraid or if they just don't trust their own dog.

I did speak with one woman with a very large beautiful pit pull with sawed-off ears who said she always crossed because people were afraid of her dog (a perfectly well-behaved rescue dog).

So am I supposed to cross the street if my dog is bigger? Or just let the dog walkers who are worried get outta my way? (My dog is enthusiastic about dogs but not aggressive and always on a very short leash and under control.)

I try to be a good dog walker since I've despised dog walkers most of my life (it's the slobber and poop I hate--my dog touches no one unless they want it and he doesn't even get to pee on walks) but it almost seems unfriendly to jaywalk when you see someone coming.

Comments (13)