I really need some helpful suggestions.
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (44)
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
WANTED: I really need some bulb help!
Comments (1)Welcome to Gardenweb! I have some crocosmia bulbs I can send you for postage. Advice: Post in the "Plant Exchange" area, something like "Wanted: Newbie needs help". And it's a good idea to have your email on your member page, people get really frustrated when they can't contact you. Let me know if you'd like some crocosmia. Dee...See MoreHello! I'm New! I need Rose Suggestions! some pics too
Comments (11)>I want something that is hardy and somewhat resistant to disease- Maybe Crepuscule and new dawn?? Hi vlodom, I was just going through some similar decisions recently and rhonda in upstate SC convinced me to go with Crepuscle. She posted a picture of it growing at one year old that is incredibly enticing. Plus, it will do that well in less than ideal sunlight. And it has few thorns. Just a really nice rose, I think. I've been interested in New Dawn too. Someone has been working on me towards one of New Dawn's seedlings: Penny Lane. That one has really good shade tolerance, she said, and she loved its fragrance. I assume it will grow as well in the Piedmont as New Dawn will, though she was writing from Kansas. Some other rambling or climbing roses you might take an interest in: Madame Alfred Carriere, Dublin Bay, Red Fountain, Quadra, Laguna, Reve d'Or, Jaune Desprez, William Allen Richardson, Sympathie, Goldfinch, Creme de la Creme, Climbing Pinkie (especially the cultivar at the Antique Rose Emporium). If you'd really like a lot of bushiness as well as the ability to put out some long canes, then take a look at Ghislaine de Feligonde. It ought to mix well with Crepuscle too. Avoid Iceberg, including climbing Iceberg, if you want to try to avoid having to spray for blackspot on the east coast. I wanted Iceberg so much that I decided to give it a try anyway... but sure enough, all I'd read about it being more of a problem on this side of the country turned out to be correct. The best resource on the internet for investigating roses is HelpMeFind.com: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php Good luck with your new house and yard! Best wishes, Mary Here is a link that might be useful: Crepuscle photo appears in this thread within Antique Roses Forum...See MoreI'm a pickle newbie-need some suggestions/help
Comments (15)This is my grandmothers recipe for dill pickles. She did it this way for 50 years, and learned it from her mother. I have added comments for my own benefit to the original instructions. I scale this recipe as needed. If I have just 3-4 cucumbers in the morning, I can just one quart. Smaller amounts take shorter times. I grow my own cucumbers, garlic and dill. As the other poster noted, use wide-mouth quart jars if possible. My grandma called it pickling salt, but it is canning salt at the grocery store. Once you jump in and do a practice jar or two you will get the hang of this in nothing flat. Just like falling out of bed in the morning. * Exported from MasterCook * Garlic Dill Pickles Recipe By : Hazel Berens Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00 Categories : Canning Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 24 pickling cucumbers -- * see note 12 cups water 6 cups white vinegar 1 cup pickling salt -- rounded 12 heads fresh dill 12 cloves garlic -- cut in half This recipe will make 6-8 quarts, depending upon size of cucumbers. If more than 6 quarts, increase amount of dill and garlic required. Wash cucumbers and remove 1/16-inch from blossom end. Place in a 5-gallon bucket with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Soak in ice water for at least 4 hours but no more than 8 hours. Refresh ice as required. Fill enamel canner with water and bring to a gentle boil; this will take at least an hour. Boil canning jars in canner. Process lids in simmering water for at least 10 minutes. Do not boil lids, as this will compromise the rubber seal. All we want to do is soften the seal. Combine water, vinegar and pickling salt in a large stock pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. This will take 20-30 minutes. Make sure pot is covered so that solution does not evaporate. When mixture has come to a boil, remove a jar from the boiling water, making sure all water has drained from the jar. Place 2 half-cloves of garlic and 1 head of dill in the jar. Add 3-4 cucumbers, leaving 1-inch headspace. Top with an additional 2 half-cloves of garlic and another head of dill. Using a canning funnel, fill the jar with hot vinegar mixture, leaving ½-inch headspace. If necessary, wipe jar top and threads clean. Place hot lid on jar and screw on ring a little more than finger tight. Place jar on rack to cool. You should hear the "tink" of the seal within a couple minutes. Repeat with remaining ingredients. After jars have cooled, test seals. Write date of canning on lid using Sharpie. Store in cool, dark place for at least 6-8 weeks. Refrigerate after opening. Pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place. This recipe will give a much crisper pickle than those processed with a hot water bath for 15-30 minutes. [Scale recipe as needed. 1/6 cup canning salt = 8 tsp] - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : *about 4 inches long...See MoreI really need some help...ASPA!!!
Comments (5)I agree with Lisa dee. It is absolutely NOT too late to put on the reducer and it should be done asap. Quickly, put up another box for the Blues. You don't have to have a lot of room. They will nest within fairly close proximity. Mine are nesting within 50 feet of each other as I type. Run to Lowes and get a Bluebird box for $10, and get a T-post to mount it on. I buy the 6-7ft T-post, and it's really inexpensive. I mount mine with machine screws,(10-24x 2-1/2SS)washers,and lock tite nuts. I agree with Lisa. Do this as QUICKLY as you can. Then, you will have nesting Blues and Dees!! Do whichever thing can be accomplished the fastest first. I suppose that you would have to go to a birding specialty store to find a reducer or else buy one on-line....See More- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 16 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Stories

EXTERIORSHelp! What Color Should I Paint My House Exterior?
Real homeowners get real help in choosing paint palettes. Bonus: 3 tips for everyone on picking exterior colors
Full Story
ENTRYWAYSHelp! What Color Should I Paint My Front Door?
We come to the rescue of three Houzzers, offering color palette options for the front door, trim and siding
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Modern Loft Gets a Little Help From Some Friends
With DIY spirit and a talented network of designers and craftsmen, a family transforms their loft to prepare for a new arrival
Full Story
PAINTINGHelp! I Spilled Paint on My Clothes — Now What?
If you’ve spattered paint on your favorite jeans, here’s what to do next
Full Story
MOST POPULAR9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN6 Suggestions for Harmonious Hardscaping
Help a sidewalk, driveway or path flow with your garden design, for a cohesive and pleasing look
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDownsizing Help: Color and Scale Ideas for Comfy Compact Spaces
White walls and bitsy furniture aren’t your only options for tight spaces. Let’s revisit some decorating ‘rules’
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: Choosing What Furniture to Leave Behind
What to take, what to buy, how to make your favorite furniture fit ... get some answers from a homeowner who scaled way down
Full Story

caflowerluverOriginal Author