SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Christmas Time is Clutter Time

jamie_mt
18 years ago

I was thinking of this forum this weekend, as I was making a total wreck of my house getting Christmas baskets made up for my business, wrapping gifts to put under our tree, and wondering for the third time where I was going to put a new plant my hubby brought home for me to "save" last week. Christmas is the ultimate in "clutter time" for me - it's the only time that seasonal decorations completely take over rather than merely accent the rooms, and I freely admit to going a bit overboard with it all. I end up feeling rather claustrophobic about a week before christmas, and itching to pack everything up and store it again for another year. During that week, I start thinking about simplifying "next year", maybe not making everything so cluttery, or doing so much "work" like baking and sending Christmas cards.

But it's such an odd thing for me...because while I feel like the decorations are "crowding" me, I still want them up and around, and I still appreciate thier beauty and somewhat "magical" nature. I love to look at my nativity sets, and watch the ornaments sparkle on the tree, and I even gave my husband permission to set up his new electric train in the middle of our dining room table, because even though it just goes around in a circle and makes noise, it just seems to complete the festive look with the placemats and candles and other decorations I have there. It's almost like I *welcome* the clutter, even as it's slowly driving me crazy. LOL And everytime I think of *not* doing christmas cards, I always do them in the end, because I love that feeling of contact with people I rarely talk to or see - even though it's only once a year, it's still something that it just seems wrong *not* to do. I had decided not to do any special baking this year too...but in the end, I will be spending a few hours in the kitchen this weekend, because even though I don't *really* have time, and I certainly don't need the sugar, it's just not Christmas for me if I *don't* do it!

The day after Christmas, I will take it all down - every little piece of it, and pack it away until next year. I will clean my house top to bottom, put out a few "wintery" decor items for January, and sit back to enjoy the peace and calm that comes after all the blinking lights and sparkles and noisy trains and singing reindeer. And next year, while I'll remember that the clutter drives me nuts, and I'll consider doing less "this year", I won't, because I know that deep down, I crave the noise and lights and clutter of the season - perhaps just so I can enjoy the peace that comes again in January all the more.

All this said for no real reason, other than I thought of the people of this forum that are constantly striving to simplify, organize, and find that "constant calm" in thier lives...and while I tend to strive for that too, I have suddenly realized that sometimes I *need* the cluttery aspects of life as well - maybe just to balance out all the organized peace I'm constantly looking for.

So for today, tomorrow, and the weekend, I'm embracing my Christmas clutter with open arms. Next week, I'm sure the pre-christmas claustrophobia will start creeping in, preparing me to clear everything out and embrace my eternal quest for organization again on the 26th. :-)

Comments (14)