SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arandygail

Why can't I make chocolate chip cookies????

arandygail
15 years ago

Help!!! For some reason, I cannot make chocolate chip cookies. I can successfully bake almost anything, but I cannot make a good chocolate chip cookie that is thick and substantial. My cookies always flatten out and turn into thin disks.

I have tried many different recipes (including many that I have seen here). I have tried real butter, margarine, a combination of both. I have tried refrigerating the dough. I have tried varying oven temperatures. I always get the same thin cookie.

I am baking on a Silpat.

Does anyone have any suggestions that can help??? This has seriously become almost an obsession with me.

Thanks,

Gail

Comments (17)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Go back with the recipe that calls for butter and half brown sugar and halfw hite and add a couple of Tablespoons more flour.....and chill the dough before you bake.
    Also check your oven temperature.
    Bake a test batch of about6 cookies....if they flatten, add a littlt more flour and tryagain.
    Linda C

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Also, here is a link to a long discussion about good ways to make them. Chilling the dough seems to be the biggest factor.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking forum discussion

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Q

Comments (3)
    Lucky you. Ginger! My neighbor waits for me to bake them and give her some! LOLOL These do sound wonderful. Thanks!
    ...See More

Chocolate chip cookies---Finally a winner for me!

Q

Comments (100)
    My advice would be if they aren't spreading enough then there is a bit too much flour. Try cutting down 1/4 cup and do a test cookie, if it's spreading too much then add a bit more flour until you get it how you like it. Betty Crocker cookbook has this tip in their old cookbook. I think most people are trying to figure it out when it's really just as simple as too much or not enough flour that affects the spread of the cookie. Try not to over-think it so much. EDIT TO ADD: The cookies in the picture look good though...they don't look like they didn't spread enough to me. Here's a thought too, why not use a round cookie scoop to form them and flatten them out a bit with the bottom or a glass or something? This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 10:31
    ...See More

Flat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Q

Comments (29)
    IÂm sorry to report that IÂve taken a serious break from the Chocolate Chip Cookie quest. The journey has cost me pounds of butter, sugar, and weight, only to realize that each individualÂs pursuit is unique and personal i.e. "my cookie may not be your cookie." That said, IÂm enjoying reading everyoneÂs success and that picture is enough to make me rethink the issue, Jo. Confession: I grew up on Crisco cookies (with the ½ tsp. Water), with enough cookie to match chocolate, puffy yet chewy, etc., and I loved them. I now make "Marvelous Marble Squares" from my old "The Happy Cooker" Jewish cookbook, which are butter based, chocolate chips swirled on top baked in jelly roll pan. Big bang for the time, crowd pleaser and closest to my memories. Cathy in SWPA
    ...See More

Baked the big chocolate chip cookie recipe

Q

Comments (16)
    I copied this recipe too as my kids love seeing those "cookie cakes" at the bakery, but we never buy them. Thanks Sheliajoyce! Last time i made cookies, I didn't feel like making individual ones, so I made a double batch and spread the dough into a 9X13 pan (lasagna pan). I had to cook about 10-12 minutes longer for the center to be done. Tasted like cookies, but texture of brownies. My husband who is not normally huge on sweets-LOVED them!
    ...See More
  • readinglady
    15 years ago

What kind of flour are you using? An unbleached all-purpose flour will yield a darker, crisper, flatter cookie. If you'd like something a little more puffy and rounded, look for a low-protein flour like White Lily.

Carol

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I have the same problem, Gail. I asked this a long time ago on this forum and got lots of advice.

I still don't make "awesome" cookies, but mine have improved by using at least half bread flour instead of AP, and chilling the dough helps, too.

Good luck, and if you find something that works for you, let me know, okay! heehee

Linda

• Lars
    15 years ago

I add granola to mine, and this helps make them substantial. I reduce the amount of sugar because the granola is sweet, and I tend to use either plain granola or granola with almonds and coconut. They're a bit like oatmeal cookies except crunchier. I like crunchy cookies.

Lars

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

Mine are perfect every time. I use the Betty Crocker recipe that calls for only one egg. I use a cookie scoop to put them on the pan (make sure cookie sheet does not have sides!) and only put 9 on each sheet.

I also use margarine (Imperial or Land O Lakes) and make sure to "soften" NOT MELT the margarine!

I make hundreds of CCC's a year and find they turn out better with margarine.

• empress
    15 years ago

I've gotta speak up here. I have been successfully baking chocolate chip cookies since 1974. I like mine soft, chewy, and golden. I have baked in Texas, Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, and England, so I don't think altitude or humidity affects these cookies. Here are the things that I know about making good chocolate chip cookies, which are really very simple to do right. I don't worry about chilling the dough except on especially hot days here in Phoenix.

RECIPE: I have always used the "Toll House" cookie recipe on the semi-sweet morsel package.

SOLID FAT: At various times I have used butter, margarine, and a combination of those and shortening. I prefer butter, but the cookie has a bit more body if a good solid margarine is used. The flavor of cookies made with shortening, even butter-flavored shortening, seems very shallow and not rich.

FLOUR: I have always used Gold Medal all-purpose flour.

EGGS: The recipe calls for 2. I always use large or extra-large.

TECHNIQUE: AND, when mixing, beat the living daylights out of the sugars and butter/margarine. Get as much air as you can incorporated into those 2 ingredients before adding anything else. Then beat it really well after adding the eggs, too. When you add the dry ingredients, mix enough to mix well, but do not beat the dough any more than necessary. It should be mixed more than you do for biscuits which you leave crumbly, but once it is all mixed together--STOP! Then if you cannot stir in the chips and nuts by hand, at least use the lowest setting on your mixer and mix as little as possible.

AFTER BAKING: I take mine out of the oven as soon as the edges look done, golden and firm. The top is usually very pale. Once out of the oven, I let them sit and set for maybe 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet. If you use parchment paper, you can slide it carefully from the pan onto the cooling racks without risking squishing them out of shape.

I believe the very most important thing to use good quality ingredients. You do not need gourmet chocolate or specialty flour, just make sure your ingredients are good quality and FRESH!

I hope some of this is helpful. There is not much better than a homemade chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven with some ice-cold milk, is there?

• carla35
    15 years ago

I find the best tasting cookies don't usually look the nicest. Butter equals flatter and browner, but they're tastier. If you want nicer "looking" cookies, substitute shortening for 1/2 the butter. May not taste as good though.

I personally don't like those mats that you are cooking on. Just try some parchment paper or even experiment with different pans types.

The timing of when you take it off the cookie sheet may matter a little too. Play around with that a bit... don't let them sit so long.

Also, try making bigger rounder cookies. That can fluff them up a bit.

• partst
    15 years ago

IÂve been reading this with interest. I havenÂt been able to bake a good CCC for some years now. I try off and on then give up and buy them at Costco.

I tried again this last week. I followed the Toll House recipe on the bag. I used KA flour, Costco butter and eggs, all new ingredients purchased last week. I let it sit in the refrigerator for the 36 hours. I baked 12 cookies on Sunday afternoon and they came out flat and the bottoms were greasy. I used a light non stick cookie sheet with parchment paper.

This morning I added a little more flour to half of dough that was left put them on a stainless cookie sheet with parchment paper put them back in the refrigerator for about 6 hours and they came out much better, not perfect but better.

I live just above 33 hundred feet and maybe that makes a difference. But years ago I didnÂt have a problem. The only other thing that I can come up with is maybe the butter is different than it used to be?

Claudia

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

I use the Ultimate Chocolate Chip cookie recipe that comes with the Crico (I know) butter flavored sticks. They come out perfect every time and everyone loves them. I have found that the Toll House cookies spread out and are thin.

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
    3/4 cup butter flavored crisco
    1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 Tbsp milk
    1 Tbsp vanilla (the real stuff)
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 3/4 cups AP flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
    Heat oven to 375
    Combine crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl (I use my KA mixer. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture.
    Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecan pieces.
    Drop rounded tbsps on dough 3 inches apart ( I use a medium scoop) onto ungreased baking sheets.
    Bake for 8 to 10 mins (I usually bake 6 to 7)
    The cookies will be chewy and will appear light and moist.
    Cool 2 mins on baking sheet and remove to cooling rack to cool completely.

Linda

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Is it possible to bake a cc cookie that looks great (thick, and even to the edge) and of course, tastes great, without using crisco?

• sanborn5
    15 years ago

Use the recipe on the nestles toll house chocolate chip package.
    Put the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least a couple of house and use a cookie scoop. I use the convection bake on my range and remove them seconds before the recipe time allowed. Leave on sheet for about one minute and remove to cookie rack. Very simple and easy. Just stick to the basics.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I bake little to nothing other than cookies so I'm no baking expert but I finally got a recipe from a friend that works for me. Pillowy, chewy cookies vs. some previous pancake flat or rock hard recipes I've tried. I don't refrigerate the dough, I use butter and I bake using convection.

What I have noticed after using this recipe many times is that the outcome in terms of plump vs. flat does seem to have something to do with how soft the butter is. Yesterday I made them and remembered to take the butter out early so it just softened on the counter. It wasn't all that soft when I made them and they turned out perfect in my opinion. Other times I've had to carefully soften the butter in the microwave. The softer the butter the flatter the cookies. And the harder the butter the more ball shaped the cookies end up.

I can also tell the difference in the consistency of the dough - even though all the ingredients are the same. If the dough is "dry" enough that I can form the cookies into a ball then they turn out great (I do make them into balls rather than dropping by spoonful). If it's stickier they end up flatter.

If my theory is true, then chilling the dough in the fridge makes sense as the fat would harden as it chills.

• kelleycookies
    15 years ago

Oh my golly!!! I can not make these cookies either. It's also an obession to me. I've tried fresh ingredients, new cookie sheets, room temp.ingredients, cold temp ingredients, butter, crisco, chilling dough, not chilling dough, adding more flour and I have tried 3 different ovens and they always come out flat and greasy. To the point where I throw them out.I don't get it. Yesterday I tried making these cookies,but with Christmas M&M's. Those are also in the garbage. Thanks

• heaven
    15 years ago

You are not alone!! The trash is where most of mine end up too. Flat as pancakes...gggrrrrr

• heaven
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot....one time I made Sol's brown sugar cookies that turned out great.....next time, same recipe...flat again.

• bri29
    15 years ago

My mom and I have always made a slightly modified version of the Toll House cookies and always in double batches. They come out slightly pillowed with a nice golden color to the bottom. Everyone who tries them seems to like them a lot. I think the trick is that we don't use butter, which keeps them from spreading. I've never chilled the dough, but I think I'll try it just to see. Of course, these don't have the richness of a butter cookie, but they're still not half bad! Lessee if I can remember the recipe off the top of my head:

1c shortening
    1c margarine
    1.5c white sugar
    1.5c brown sugar
    4 large eggs
    1t vanilla
    1t salt
    1t baking soda
    4.5c flour
    1.5c chocolate chips

Cream together the shortening and margarine, add the sugars and mix well. Mix in egg, vanilla salt and baking soda. Add flour and mix until JUST combined, don't overmix. Add chocolate chips and stir lightly through.

Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes until just underdone. Leave on the baking sheet for another minute or two to finish cooking. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.