SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Organizing the Mind

cupofkindness
13 years ago

Regarding the things that clutter my life: My perspective on "things" and how to treat them is ultimately formed by my mind (personality and God-given disposition and education and experience), my habits, my energy level, and a variety of attitudes and motivations. I have many good traits, but feel that because I lack organization, I am unable to do the sorts of extras (like having friends over for a meal, or doing a lot of fun things during the holidays, which almost never happens because I'm so overwhelmed.... I'm so disappointed in myself) that would make life a little sweeter for me and my children. Truthfully, the clutter around my house should be more upsetting-it really is upsetting-but I am unable to act or lead my family to act in such a way to resolve this major issue, because if it was REALLY more a priority, it wouldn't be an insurmountable problem, right?

I feel that as I age (I am about 50), it will become more difficult for me to keep track of everything. I have a large family, but no little tiny children around anymore (sniff!). Most of my energy goes into caring for my family. I am also dismayed that I cannot manage our money better, realizing that by being better organized I could in turn spend my energy saving money by not buying/replacing things that we really don't need, staying on top of bills and receipts (training myself in how best to spend money), taking the time to set up monetary goals besides sending my children to college (which believe me, I'm grateful for-if we did nothing else in life with money, we accomplished a lot right there), monetary goals like travel... My husband works very hard at his job and pays our bills... I stay home, and homeschool my youngest children, plus of course take care of the kids in elementary and high school, and keep track of my children in college. I sound busier than I really am, I have a very good life.

Also, I've been there, done that with a lot of wonderful programs and books, but never slavishly (like FLYlady, for example. I tried her program, too stressful, I cannot work like that, life seems to get in the way). I've read a lot of books as well (my current fav is probably "It's All Too Much") I probably should be reading organizational books continuously for support, but then, there's the time issue. I have in the past few years lost a lot of weight, which in itself taught me a great deal about how even the smallest things you do, can in fact, have an amazing impact over time. Virtuous habits are very powerful and good for your soul in more ways than one, as I've come to learn a little late in life.

I love this quote from FlyLady:

"Your attitude has to change from 'Why do I have to do this?' to "This is my home and I deserve a wonderful place to live.' Do you feel the difference that these two statements make in your heart?"

Does any of this resonate with you? How do you achieve the sort of mental discipline that flows into your material life? What would you recommend that I do to organize my mind in such a way that would make it easier to keep my life organized as well? I'm not looking for big systems, just big ideas that can work into my mind and routine in the little ways that lead to lasting order.

Somedays I think it would be easier if my house burned to the ground. That would be, in a sad sense, freeing. In any case, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and ideas in this regard. It means so much to me! And please don't worry, I won't set my house on fire. But you know what I mean!

~Cupofkindness

Comments (14)