SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kandm_gw

Fall is Coming - What Foods Remind you of Autumn?

kandm
15 years ago

For me it's Vegetable Beef Soup, Baked Spiced Apples, Apple Cider and Cherry Pie.

Comments (35)

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Pumpkin pie, chili, fresh picked apples, to name a few.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Definitely Apple Cider!

Also:

Roasted root veggies
    Chex Mix (I only make it on football Sundays)
    pies in general
    chili
    hearty soups
    Bourbon

• Related Discussions

Pics to remind us of what is to come soon

Q

Comments (77)
    I almost took it (GH)down Monday. glad I didn't with this predicted cold. I may cut off some of the white after taking the gh down, several limbs are really long. They are both noids from Michigan Bulb, and are planted in the ground. If you want 1 or 2 I will put them in water to root. It will be after Easter before I take the GH down and trim them. princealbert
    ...See More

Fall Seed Swap Reminder

Q

Comments (67)
    Tracy, I am sending my package today. My top 10 wants are agastache pink pop, purple pygmy, black adder, etc with red and pinks. Penstemon pink chablis, red rocks, etc asclepia soulmate linaria maroccana guara, guara and more guara any and all types!!! creeping veronica Georgia blue campanula any violas different types of foxgloves and anything pink!!!! (I usually end up with purple) Thanks again for hosting. Jenny.
    ...See More

Ft Worth Autumn Fall Swap October 22 2016 Trade Thread

Q

Comments (70)
    Thanks Sylvia for another successful swap. This one was really fun. I really enjoyed myself and hated to leave. I came home with way more than I got there with. Haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. Hopefully I can get outside tonight because it's killing me. I want to work in the yard! Everyone have a great day and thanks for all of the wonderful plants!
    ...See More

Reminder for fall postings

Q

Comments (0)
    Just a mention that, as many of our wildflowers are ramping down, there are lots of interesting grasses that are coming into prime fall form. I like to see what grows in other parts of the country/world, so please don't forget those in your posts. In general, you'll need to show a couple of shots - one of the entire plant, plus a close-up of the flowers. Those inflorescences are hard to get properly focused, so you might have to lay them across your palm, and then shoot that for best results.
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

Herb Crusted Pork Roast, Roasted Red Pepper Soup, baked squash, cauliflower with cheese sauce, peach cobbler, pears with Stilton and cream, apple crisp. I love fall food but not what it hails.....

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Apple everything, pot roast, pork roast, meatloaf, chili, pumpkin, squash, rutabaga and lots of mashed potatoes.
    Fall puts me into the mood to bake!

I always find that I can't wait for it to warm up enough in the spring to start thinking about 'summer' foods and then in the fall I get just as anxious to go back to 'winter foods'.

Nancy

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Fall to me means we are getting ready to start harvest and taking meals to the field.

We started digging peanuts so it won't be long and I will be getting geared up and I am so unprepared this year.

• kandm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons for everything including cooking.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Homemade soups and homemade bread.
    (making) Applesauce.
    Pumpkin 'whatever'!! LOL

Another few weeks and I'll be ready to snuggle in front of the woodstove and quilt, watch the rain, bake, etc.

Deanna

• compumom
    15 years ago

Fall? Heck it's 91 here right now! LOL

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Ellen, I wish it was 91° here.

I guess I'm strange because although I recognize that most people think of certain foods as "Fall" or "winter" foods, I cook those foods year around. If I get a craving for Sharon's Herbed Pork Roast, or Chicken and Dumplings or a Beef Stew, Roast Turkey or chicken, chili, spaghetti and meatballs, baked squash, apple pie, etc... in the middle of summer, that's what I cook.

Ann

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Home made refrigerator potato rolls or any kind of home made bread.

I'm the same as Ann, but I find I enjoy things like baking and soups more in the fall, even though I cook and eat them year round. We get so few cold days here that we'd rarely get to eat "cold weather" food otherwise.

• christy2828
    15 years ago

I am a Floridian, who is now living in Maryland. I've been here for 4 years, and this will be our 4th real winter. For me, fall means Ribs. I cook them in the oven for several hours and I like to help heat the house at the same time. So, I've made it a fall/winter meal :) Next summer we have to move, and most likely it will be south :( No more winter for me unless we can get restationed here again!!! Christy

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Soups and stews cooked in the slow cooker. Anything made with apples, pumpkin or squash. And here in CA, persimmon bread and slow cooked pudding.
    Clare

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Apple Pie
    Pears

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

It's hard to feel "Fallish" when it's 88 degrees outside and the humidity is a cool 100%!!! But, being the eternal optimist that I am, and longing for the 3 days of fall we will have some time in December, these foods make me feel like autumn: roasting nuts (please be nice), anything with pumpkin, apple pie, hot apple cider, and thick soups and chilis. And the scent of baking sweet potatoes, which will forever remind me of my dear Grandma.
    DONNA

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

C\Baked apple anything, homemade beef vegetable soup, homemade bread, anything else in the oven and hot homemade soups. There's already a chill in the air. I know, because Shadow is sitting on me earlier.

• stbonner
    15 years ago

Chili, homemade vegetable soup, and pumpkin bread.

• triciae
    15 years ago

I cook & we eat seasonally. I might roast a couple bone-in chicken breasts in August but never an entire chicken. We eat soups but not those with root vegetables in summer. Partly, that's why foods don't get boring to us. Fall is our favorite time of year for eating. During the summer, we're never hungry & during winter we're feeling stuffed from fall! :)

I've been busy filling our new freezer the past month. I always start the week after Labor Day. We had our first pot of bean/ham soup & cheese bread last Sunday. It's one of our favorite football meals. For dessert, it was Dutch apple pie.

I've been roasting sweet potatoes & tomatoes almost daily for 3 weeks now. It's not even 7:30 a.m. & I've got tomatoes in the oven & apples on the stovetop now. The house smells wonderful! Later today, I've got another 12 sweet potatoes to roast & I'm going to make half a dozen quick breads.

Chicken 'n Dumplings is on the menu for this Sunday. That's always a Sunday meal for us...never Saturday. Guess it's because Mom always cooked chicken on Sundays?!

Last night, I had a big mug of homemade tomato-basil soup & half a grilled ham sandwich w/havarti. I topped the soup with grated apple & crumbled bacon. Yummy!

I love fall. My appetite has returned...right on schedule.

/tricia

• moosemac
    15 years ago

Soups, chili and stews on the woodstove, baked beans and smoked shoulder, PARSNIPS - Yum! Apple dumplings, apple pie, apple cider....and of course leeks.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

It is cool and windy here today - a storm moving in from off the coast.

I'm looking forward to chicken and dumplings, roast chicken, lots of baking bread, and soup!, soup!, soup! I just c/p all the lentil soups on the lentil thread. Soup is absolutely one of my favorite things - tasty, hot, filling, and (in these times) pretty economical. Looking forward to the new crop of apples, sweet potatoes, and winter squash also.

My oven has been on so few times this summer; I use my toaster oven much more when it is hot.

Fall is my favorite season and it can't come soon enough for me!
    Teresa

• Lars
    15 years ago

Mangoes - fall is when my mangoes get ripe - generally in October and November. This year I have more than ever, and I hope they stay on the tree long enough to get ripe. It looks like most will, but I've lost a few small ones already.

Lars

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Pumpkin anything. Baked Apples, Apple Cinnamon Donuts and Cider (both made by a local cider mill), Hearty Stews, and like Tricia, Chicken and Dumplings. Oh, I'm so ready.

Sol

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Soups
    Stew
    Chicken and Dumplings
    Pot Roast
    Baked Ham
    Chicken and Stuffing

• okie_redhead
    15 years ago

I love fall, it is my favorite season. I break out the dutch ovens and do alot of cooking outside. We also go camping alot in the fall so for me the foods I look forward to are chili, stew, cornbread, biscuits and gravy, apple cobblers, pork chops with apples.

Melissa

• amck2
    15 years ago

I brought out the dutch oven and made a batch of spaghetti & meatballs for company last weekend. Seeing the big orange pot on the stove announced that we've gone from all-grill, all the time to chowders,chilis,soups,stews and roasts.

I love living in a 4 season climate and the changes in cooking that each brings.

The one food that screams fall to me is warm Apple Crisp. Sarah Moulton's recipe with real maple syrup is my all time favorite.

• triciae
    15 years ago

I have a batch of muffins in the oven right now with chopped spinach, grated carrots, finely diced scallions, dates, & minced walnuts w/a bit of freshly grated nutmeg. They smell heavenly baking & will be soooo good with a bowl of soup this fall. Yummmm

/tricia

• velodoug
    15 years ago

One of our traditional Friday meals at this time of year is mac & cheese with plain sliced tomatoes, to celebrate both the end of the tomato crop and the arrival of cooler weather.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Roasted root veggies, homemade soups, stews and chowders. Meat and potatoes, apples with anything, caramel topping on anything, homemade pies,just a more hearty meal in general. We eat a lot lighter in the summer months. NancyLouise

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

Apple pie-- making a new supply of apple butter--

And all those lovely squashes-- yum!!

• dancingqueengw
    15 years ago

Butternut squash ravioli. Chili and cornbread.

• sillymesillyne
    15 years ago

Pretty much all of the above. But for me, it is all the New England Fall food festivals. And, yes, they cover the usual Fall foods. We have a Chowder Fest in Connecticut, a bit late for us, here in Boston.. we have our Chowda Fest, oddly enough, in the summer. Rhode Island has a Seafood Fest that is mostly shellfish, oysters and clams. We have many apple and pumpkin Fests and even a cranberry Fest down the cape. As we should, we are the cranberry capital, I believe. But for pure hometown favorites type Fests, nothing beats the Marshmallow Fluff Fest... it's silly, just like the product. And ya gotta love the name.. wait for it... here it comes.. the "What the Fluff? Fest"! LOL! It just makes me smile.
    We invented Marshmallow Fluff (in Lynn, MA, right next door to where I now live in Revere) and made the infamous Fluffernutter a household name! LOL!

I have to say that although I ate my fair share of Fluff as a kid, I always thought it a bit too sweet. My brothers and sisters were crazy about it and my great aunt Lil would come up with all manner of crazy Fluff recipes. All my siblings were ecstatic to find a Fluffernutter sandwich in their lunchbox. And even though I did, on occasion, enjoy a PB&J, and tolerated a Fluff and PB, AKA a Fluffernutter, I was most happy to find a lovely cream cheese and jelly in mine.

I did, however, absolutely love, love, love the fudge made with with Fluff! Go figure... I mean, is there anything sweeter than fudge? I think the recipe is still on the jar of Fluff.

Silly

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Silly, I love Fluff, right from the jar, and I also like that fudge recipe, I make it once a year, at Christmas, because I just eat too much of it when I make it. So, my eternal gratitude to Lynn, MA. (grin)

Most of the above foods remind me of fall, but especially the longer cooking things like pot roast, root vegetables, and for some reason pie.

I also think of potatoes, because this is the time of year we dig them. I have about 150 lbs. of Red Pontiacs in my garage so I've made scalloped potatoes, corn and potato chowder and I've got to get started on french fries for the freezer.

Annie

• HU-464129135
    last year

Cinnamon donuts

• Lars
    last year

I don't have a mango tree anymore, but I do have white sapote fruit that is getting ripe. If I had been more conscientious about pollination, I might have cherimoya at this time as well.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    last year

Baked squash - home grown, just about any variety.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012