SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peel_gw

Old linoleum stuck to hardwood

peel
18 years ago

I bought a 1954 ranch last year, and I'm in the process of restoring our central hallway to hardwood. The rest of the house's floors were liberated from carpet hell and refinished before we bought it last year, but for some reason they skipped the hallway, leaving it with the same sticky vinyl tiles as the kitchen. We pulled up the tile to get to the plywood subfloor, ripped that out, and found that the original owners (most likely) stuck sheet linoleum right onto the hardwood underneath. I have managed to get the top layer of linoleum off but I'm left with the paper backing that is glued to the floor. Slowly I've been able to peel some of this off and I'll keep going with it, but it looks as if the glue was applied in lines throughout the floor.

Should I get as much of the paper off as I can and then sand the remainder where the glue is attached or should I try to get the glue off some other way? My worry is that since the floor isn't finished underneath I don't want to put a lot of water or any kind of stripping agent down there because it will soak right in.

I hope I'm in the right place...the flooring forum seems to be mostly about new floors. I figured this forum might be more appropriate.

Comments (20)