SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karmicrevival

About to Purchase a 1924 House: Issue Spotting Pointers Please!

karmicrevival
18 years ago

I've just put a contract on a 1924 house located near the Little Havana area of Miami (and, yes, I will be having a professional inspector give me a full report), and I'd like to try and anticipate the types of things that could be or will soon go wrong with it.

Details:

It's a 1924 mission or spanish revival style house (I'm not quite sure). It is 1 story, stucco over concrete block with a parapet roof and nifty bell tower accent on the top. Freestanding garage with an apartment.

Here's my checklist of things:

electric. The house has all new electric, new wiring, new breaker box, and the box has ample slots for its 200 amp service.

plumbing: The house has all new plumbing back to the sewage hookup. copper pipe for the hot water, pvc for drains.

floors: All new sub flooring and new mahogany (not laminate) floors thru-out the house (kitchen, laundry, and baths are tiled) Cottage is all tiled.

windows: all of the 1924 windows have been restored. All of the windows work with no cracked panes and no gaping. All non-original windows (there are only abut 3 or 4 and are in the rear of the house) have been replaced with aluminum framed windows that don't clash horribly with the style of the house.

Doors: All new exterior doors (sadly, the original doors were apparently beyond repair or long gone)

kitchen: kitchen was gutted (with maintaining its few built-ins) and is all new: granite counters, double porcelain sink, stainless steel appliances, etc.

bathrooms: One redone with original tile and original 3/4 size tub but has a new toilet and sink. The Master bath is entirely new.

Two bedrooms total. It was a 3/1 now converted to a 2/2. Two bedrooms were knocked together to create the master suite with the space for the master bath and a walk-in closet. The 2 smaller bedrooms were used for this, so that the now second bedroom is of a nice size (about 14x14).

New central air (I don't know the term for the type of system -- but it's the type whose vents look almost like high-hat light mounts -- and doesn't interfere with the architecture of the house).

working fireplace with restored hearth and restored bookcases to either side.

roof. The roof was resealed and the parapets had some sort of plastic (probably not plastic -- but you get the idea) wide strips were placed over the paper and then also sealed to keep the paper from pulling away from the parapets.

house painted inside and out (lucky me, I love the exterior color!).

So.. what should I be on the lookout for in terms of potential costly problems/issues?

Thank you!

Comments (16)