SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_tracker

Painting weathered T&G porch ceiling...need pointers/advice

WARNING: GREENHORN ALERT!!!!!

I'm in the very beginning stages of repainting our front porch's tongue and groove ceiling. It is in somewhat bad shape as there was a couple of leaks in the flat roof covering it and a few boards will need replacing (hopefully I can find a good match!). This will be the largest painting project that I have undertaken and would like to do a good job on it. After the porch...the window trim....

So far I have used a double-edged scraper on the outside third of the ceiling (the roughest condition area) and have cloroxed and then pressure-washed the ceiling. After the washing dried I can see better what I've yet to scrape/sand. Also, a lot of the old caulking will need removing (much of it I've already pulled from between the t&g...some of the caulkin looks like it will be ok. I just pray that my elbows and other parts of my anatomy (I have some joint issues) will hold out to finish the scraping and sanding...overhead work is *so* much fun!

Thus, I've resigned myself to much more scraping and sanding. Any pointers on making the paint removal easier is most welcome.

After wearing paint chips/dust all day Saturday I was reminded of the issue of *LEAD* being as the house was built back around 1950. I'll be picking up one of the "lead test kits" and checking the paint. Regardless, I think I'll grab some type of respirator (any suggestions?).

Here is the "chemical" supplies I have on hand to do the painting:

1) KILZ-2 latex primer

2) DAP "Alex Plus" acrylic latex caulk plus silicone

3) Valspar Duramax "Satin" latex paint

Any comments on any of this. I've read through 42 pages of the PAINT forum here so I know that what I have isn't the line-up of a professional painter but it's what I purchased before doing all the reading. :(

Specific questions...

1) Since the primer will be going on first...will the KILZ-2 work "ok" with the Valspar Duramax?

2) After priming, caulking the gaps in the tongue-and-groove is going to be interesting, to say the least. So as not to do the job and then later regret using it....is the Alex Plus good enough to use here or should I use something else?

I've got some linked pics below of the ceiling for your viewing pleasure.

I'm all ears so if you've got a comment or suggestion...fire away!!!!

Thanks!

Ed

Before any scraping or washing...

After some scraping and pressure-washing...

Close-up of t&g ceiling...

Comments (9)