SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nightbk

Too much pine... planning on painting. Need your advice!

nightbk
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, we just bought a small cabin on a beautiful lakefront. The large windows in the family room/dining area face North West which is what we prefer because we don't need any blinds for the sweltering summer sun, but I find the amount of pine in the interior with this amount of light makes things a little dark. We want it to be a rustic beachy cabin and would like to lighten things up. Also the woods are not all stained the same so I feel like there's too much going on. All of the furnishings in the photos came with the cabin. Only the dining set and loveseat will be staying. We will be buying an aqua/teal sofa bed and most decor items that we'll be using are light and bright with a beachy natural feel. We are adding a live edge mantel to cover the old vent holes in the stone on the fireplace and I will paint out the brass on the insert. I have a large reclaimed wood mirror, paddles, starfish and some fun retro framed posters from our travels we'll be using to give you an idea of what we like.

We love the tone of the wood ceilings and the floors are great so we're leaving those. We will also leave the solid pine doors for now (except the one in the kitchen leading to the pantry area), but I would prefer them a bit darker to match the ceiling in the future. The kitchen cabinets are almost new, done well and need to stay, but the warm grey tone and modern aesthetic of the cabinets throws me when picking a paint color for the walls.

Right now our plan is to paint the pine walls in the main living/dining area and kitchen SW Alabaster to freshen things up. I love the idea of "white", but don't want anything stark with the northern light or too yellow either. There is very limited wall space in the kitchen, but the appliances are white so if the SW Alabaster won't work there, I was wondering about a very light beachy blue/green paint color. The last photo is of the room we will be using for our "master bedroom" because it has a door with a nice deck attached. It's tiny, but everything we need will fit. I'm not sure if we should or shouldn't paint the pine in here right now.

Please share your insight and ideas to refresh our tiny lakeside cabin.

Thank you!!!

Comments (99)